Subject: [Anima-signaling] Draft Questions to the WG from the Signaling Design Team

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:48:46 +1200

How about sending this to the WG list?

I'm playing with some toy JSON to express the current GDNP semantics;
watch this space. It's a lot more fun than designing binary TLVs :-).

   Brian

- - -
Draft:

Hi,

The signaling design team has been working on requirements and issues
for the Anima signaling protocol, and we have a couple of questions for
the WG as a whole. Our goal is to produce a draft for WG discussion and
possible adoption in July. Our part of the wiki is at
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/anima/trac/wiki/Signaling .

Question 1: The current draft design uses a traditional binary TLV protocol
(very similar to the Homenet DNCP design). Extensions, including the design
of the objective(s) for each new autonomic use case, will require careful
low-level design and possibly IANA registration.

If we want Anima to be an ongoing success, it needs to be convenient for the
designers of Autonomic Service Agents to define new objectives and for programmers
to express them in code, without being protocol design experts. A binary TLV
design is not good from that point of view.

It's been proposed to the design team that we should explore a more programmer-
friendly approach. The main candidate is to represent the protocol elements in JSON,
with a suitable serialization such as CBOR for actual message transmission, to
avoid excessive impact on run-time efficiency and footprint.

So the question to the working group is: would you prefer to see the design team
pursue a JSON solution, or to stick with the current binary TLV approach?

Question 2: This is a cosmetic question. The current protocol model assumes that
autonomic operations will be either negotiation or synchronization between
peers. As time goes on, we might want to extend this model. So should we
change the protocol name from GDNP (generic discovery and negotiation) to
GRASP (GeneRic Autonomic Signaling Protocol)?

---

From: Jéferson Campos Nobre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 16:37:36 +0000

Agreed.
Jéferson

Em qua, 3 de jun de 2015 às 00:48, Brian E Carpenter <
[email-masked]> escreveu:

> _______________________________________________
> Anima-signaling mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima-signaling
>