Subject: [Anima-signaling] GRASP: next step (please reply)

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:24:24 +1200

Hi,

We need to make the next step in GRASP now. I will review the recent
requirements discussion, but I'm not sure that there will be any big
changes to the existing requirements list for the protocol itself.
Much of what has been discussed is about how the protocol will be used
or what features an ASA must support. One requirement is fairly clear,
though: *easy* extensibility. That's a one word change to requirement 18.

What the editors (Bing and me) need now is your *opinion*: should we
take the step of changing to a CBOR design? Please tell us during this
week.

As far as I can see, there is no issue about payload size in making this
change. There are existing libraries for encoding and decoding between
data structures and CBOR (for various programming languages). CBOR makes
it much easier to document the protocol and to conceptualise the
protocol elements. It also makes it easy and quick to define new
messages and options. So you can guess what my opinion is.

   Brian

---

From: Jéferson Campos Nobre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 14:10:05 +0000

Hi Brian.
I think we should change to a CBOR design. I agree with the arguments you
presented in the email.
Besides that, after Prague and also following a similar discussion on DTN,
I didn't see any strong argument against CBOR (even for constrained
devices).
Best.
Jéferson

Em seg, 14 de set de 2015 às 20:24, Brian E Carpenter <
[email-masked]> escreveu:

> _______________________________________________
> Anima-signaling mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima-signaling
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 14:56:00 +1200

Well, having heard a yes from Jeferson and no objection from
anyone else, we will now proceed to update the draft to
a CBOR format. Since Carsten drafted the CBOR, he'll be listed
as a co-author too.

This may take a few days so I'll still be glad to hear comments.

Regards
   Brian