Subject: [Anima] Grasp progress

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 15:20:42 +1300

Hi,

The main reason I've been silent on the Anima list recently is that I've been
waiting for people to review https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-anima-grasp-02.
We really do need to discuss the open issues.

However, I have been amusing myself with the prototype code. It's hard to mount
a complete test without a quite complex lab setup, but a few minutes ago I did
succeed in getting two ASAs to negotiate with each other between a Linux box
in the lab at the University of Auckland and my Windows box at home a few kilometres
away. Yes, I had to fake discovery for that to work, but I had discovery working
on the LAN in the lab yesterday.

So, just now ASA Briggs and ASA Gray negotiated with other, with Gray asking Briggs
for dollars and Briggs offering less than requested (i.e. this is the toy example used
as slideware several IETFs ago).

I need to do more tests in the lab when I can, because there are a few failures
that I don't understand (but they prove that the model is quite robust, since both
Briggs and Gray keep on negotiating after the failures). Quite soon I will
feel comfortable putting the code on GitHub. I've attached Briggs and Gray as
a teaser.

Some interesting discoveries on the way about using sockets in Python
and about how the lab switch apparently blocks ff02::114. Also discovered
that my home gateway really does block incoming TCP unless you tell it
not to. But GRASP has now run over the open IPv6 Internet, with absolutely
no security. If anyone has a prototype ACP I'd love to know.

Anyway - please read the draft. Now that we have some running code, which is
easy to update because it's all Python, we should be able to settle the
open issues and test them out very quickly.

    Brian