Subject: [Anima] Last Call: <draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity-07.txt> (Using Autonomic Control Plane for Stable Connectivity of Network OAM) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 18:41:32 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Autonomic Networking Integrated
Model and Approach WG (anima) to consider the following document: - 'Using
Autonomic Control Plane for Stable Connectivity of Network OAM'
  <draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-11-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   OAM (Operations, Administration and Maintenance - as per BCP161,
   (RFC6291) processes for data networks are often subject to the
   problem of circular dependencies when relying on connectivity
   provided by the network to be managed for the OAM purposes.

   Provisioning while bringing up devices and networks tends to be more
   difficult to automate than service provisioning later on, changes in
   core network functions impacting reachability cannot be automated
   because of ongoing connectivity requirements for the OAM equipment
   itself, and widely used OAM protocols are not secure enough to be
   carried across the network without security concerns.

   This document describes how to integrate OAM processes with the
   autonomic control plane (ACP) in Autonomic Networks (AN) in order to
   provide stable and secure connectivity for those OAM processes.  This
   connectivity is not subject to aforementioned circular dependencies.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-stable-connectivity/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.