Subject: [Anima] BRSKI - Pledge Rejection

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 14:44:09 -0500

I have been reading the BRSKI I-D.  While the I-D is pretty clear as to
what happens when everything goes as planned, I am finding it very
difficult to understand what will happen when a Pledge contacts a
Registrar for a different domain.

Consider the following scenario:

Domain A                         Domain B
..............................   ...............................
.  ---------                 .   .                  ---------  .
.  | Reg A |                 .   .                  | Reg B |  .
.  ---------                 .   .                  ---------  .
.                            .   .                             .
.                            .   .                             .
.               -----------  .   .  -----------                .
.               | Proxy A |  .   .  | Proxy B |                .
.               -----------  .   .  -----------                .
..............................   ...............................

                           ----------
                           | Pledge |
                           ----------

A Pledge is at the edge of Domain A (which it should join) and has
discovered Proxy A.  It is also at the edge of Domain B, and has
discovered Proxy B.  It then begins the steps outlined in Figure 2, and
by chance chooses to contact the Registrar offered by Proxy B.

While I understand that this attempt to register will fail, it is not
clear at what point the Pledge will realize that this is the wrong
Registrar, and move on to the next discovered Proxy.  Clearly the Proxy
does not know; it is only a conduit.  Does the Registrar have enough
information, or is it only after the voucher is issued (or not issued)
by the MASA that the decision can be made?

Would someone please help me to clarify this issue?

  Bill

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 11:26:06 -0500

> Registrar for a different domain.

By definition, the pledge hasn't joined a domain yet, so question doesn't
make sense actually.  There isn't a "different domain" yet.

    > by the MASA that the decision can be made?

It is only after the voucher has been issued that the pledge knows if it can
join a particular domain.  In the case of nonce-ful logged proximity (no
sales channel integration), the MASA will assign the pledge to whichever
domain the pledge talks to.

If there is a "correct" domain, and the MASA knows about it, then it will
only issue a voucher that way.  An attempt by the "wrong" domain to register
the pledge will result in no voucher.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 15:02:21 -0500

Michael,

My assumption was that (outside BRSKI) the Pledge was sold to the owner
of Domain A, and the MASA knew this (and the identity of the Registrar
for A).  One of the students that I presented ANIMA concepts to asked
the question, "What happens if the Pledge chooses the "wrong" Proxy?"  I
believe that I now have enough information (from the discussion that you
added at the bottom) to answer his question.  After exploring this a bit
more, I may have a suggestion for an addition to the text, to forestall
such questions in the future.

Thank you for your response.

  Bill

--

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 19:03:34 -0500

> of Domain A, and the MASA knew this (and the identity of the Registrar

That's called "sales channel integration".
It's "channel", because you could imagine a series of OEMs, distributors,
retails, etc.
Years ago, I wrote this:
      https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/6tisch-security/2kObJLkLlhuI-HU9s5yqfRm0n00#

to explain how a different concept of vouchers could work.  I'm including
this because I think it explains the sales channel integration concept well.

    > such questions in the future.

okay, thank you!