Subject: [Anima] Charter update?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:18:43 +1200

Hi,

Will the ANIMA charter be updated soon? It would help a lot in preparing for IETF103.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 23:31:48 +0200

> Will the ANIMA charter be updated soon? It would help a lot in preparing for IETF103.

We had waited some time for our AD to provide us some early feedback on
our proposed charter 2.0 (to avoid any - non obvious to us - issues), but
so far we did not receive any feedback.

Appended the proposed charter 2.0 (that you contributed to as you know).
Would like to encourage the working group to provide feedback to it.

Cheers
    Toerless

---
Version 2.0 (07/23/2018)
Proposed 2nd Charter for ANIMA Working Group

The Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (ANIMA) working
group is developing specifications and supporting documentation for
interoperable protocols, implementations and operations of automated
network management and control mechanism in traditional networks
that introduce autonomic mechanisms and in future
networks designed to be autonomic. The main focus is on "professionally managed"
networks (*1).

The basis for ongoing work in ANIMA are the framework and components
developed by ANIMA so far, documented in draft-ietf-anima-reference-model.  
Standalone work not relating to any component of this framework is welcome
for review, but WG adoption of such work will be done through explicit rechartering.

The components developed so far in this ANIMA framework constitute the
Autonomic Networking Infrastructure (ANI): Autonomic Control Plane (ACP),
Bootstrap over Secure Key Infrastructures (BRSKI) including the concept
of Vouchers, and Generic Autonomic Signaling Protocol (GRASP) . 

There are known gaps in this framework, including:

* Defining the domain boundary, membership of the domain
* Structure, life cycle, roles, authorisation and coordination of autonomic service agents
* Integration with Network Operations Centers and reporting mechanisms
* Information distribution within an autonomic network
* Interaction with YANG-based management mechanisms
* Additional generic use cases such as resource management or SLA assurance

ANIMA will work on these gaps and other aspects of the existing framework
(more details below).

There are long term issues that are not yet well enough understood to
consider specific technical solutions:

* Intent (high level policy)
* Tie in to machine learning and other AI techniques

ANIMA will not work on these issue without explicit rechartering.

ANIMA will 
continue to work on fixes, extensions, variations and operational or 
implementation detailing of the overall ANI and its components.
Examples of such work is not limited to, but includes:

* ANI OAM interfaces (e.g.: Yang)
* Structuring ANI (virtualization, compounding)
* Variations of Voucher formats
* BRSKI/Bootstrap protocol aspects (different proxies, extensions for wireless)
* Common GRASP extensions for multiple use cases (Bulk transfer, DNS-SD compatible GRASP objectives)

Autonomic Functions is the ANIMA framework term for distributed functions
leveraging the ANI (preferrably autonomically managed). The ANIMA working 
group will consider work items to specify individual autonomic functions
including but not limited to:

* Standardized autonomic functions/use-cases such as autodiscovery of NOC services by ANI networks
* Autonomic Slice Management and Autonomic SLA management.

Work on ANI use cases and Autonomic Functions must
be detailled and complete enough to support implementation of solutions that
can be deployed and operated. Standards track is preferred, but more
exploratory experimental or informational work proposals will be
accepted based on the expected operational benefits.

Autonomic Software Agents are the ANIMA framework components representing
software moduels that implement Autonomic Functions. The ANIMA working
 group will consider work items relating to ASA and other aspects of
autonomic functions that are applicable independent of a specific
 Autonomic Function and its ASA. These work items include, but are
not limited to:

* Design/Implementer guidelines for ASA
* ASA Lifecycle management,
* ASA coordination/dependency resolution.

Acceptange of work items
will be based on the perceived value to implementors and/or operators.
Status of work can be standards track if the work includes normative
statements about node external interfaces (such as requirements for
Yang interfaces on ASA). Exploratory work in this area can be 
experimental. Work describing node-internal only behavior will be
informational.

ANIMA will coordinate with other IETF working groups
and IRTF research groups and only accept work that is not better suited
for other groups. Examples include variations of components of the
ANI in a solutions owned by other working group (such
as 6TISCH for specific variations of BRSKI mechanisms),
details of ANI components owned by another working group
(e.g.: ROLL for the ACP used RPL protocol extensions/modifications),
NMRG for definition of Intent terminology and taxonomy, and DINRG for
definition of aspects of distributed autonomic functions not well enough
understood to allow adoption by ANIMA (note: pending on DINRG being
accepted as a RG).

(*1) "Professionally Managed" is the term used to distinguish networks
in focus of ANIMA compared to other, potentially even more autonomic
network designs with less manageability, scale, heterogenity or security
requirements than ANIMA, such as HOMENET for home networks.