Subject: [Anima] IoT Onboarding discussion summary from Bangkok

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:24:46 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

[Sorry for the wide distribution- on the other hand, please forward to
other interested parties ;-)]

Thanks to the 30 or so people who attended the side meeting on IoT
onboarding.  We had a pretty good discussion around the fact that there
is some fragmentation in the space that is confusing IoT developers. 
Some of this is due to the varying nature of devices and the varying
nature of deployments.  We focused a bit on 802.11, but not
exclusively.  We also discussed the relationship between "network
onboarding" and "application onboarding".

From our discussions we agreed that it would be good to catalog all the
various mechanisms that are available today, to attempt to identify
common architectural components, and to sort out the technical
requirements that these solutions need to address.  The intent was not
to limit this to either the IETF or IP (at least for now) but to capture
the whole field.  Also, non-standard mechanisms are welcome as well. 
Later perhaps we can come up with at least a document to navigate when a
particular mechanism might be appropriate.

To this end, Suresh has been kind enough to create a mailing list –
[email-masked] – for this purpose.  You can join the mailing
list by going to https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iot-onboarding.

In addition, I've created a github project that literally just catalogs
the stuff in the README.  ALL contributions are welcome.  Examples of
mechanisms that we would like to document are DPP, ANIMA/BRSKI (in all
of its varieties), how BT and Zigbee function in this regard, OCF, etc. 
The repository location can be found at
https://github.com/iot-onboarding/catalog.

We also agreed to checkpoint in December, before everyone disappears for
the holidays.  More information on this will be forthcoming.

To those who attended, did I miss anything?

Eliot