Subject: [Anima] WG Action: Rechartered Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (anima)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 09:33:34 -0700

The Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (anima) WG in the
Operations and Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (anima)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
  Sheng Jiang <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ignas Bagdonas <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Ignas Bagdonas <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Nancy Cam-Winget <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/anima/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/anima/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-anima/

The Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (ANIMA) working group
develops and maintains specifications and documentation for interoperable
protocols and procedures for automated network management and control of
professionally-managed networks.

The vision is a network that configures, heals, optimizes and protects
itself. The strategy is the incremental introduction of components to
smoothly evolve existing and new networks accordingly.

ANIMA work will rely on the framework described in
draft-ietf-anima-reference-model already approved for publication. Work not
related to this framework is welcome for review, but WG adoption of such work
requires explicit rechartering. The two concrete areas of the reference model
are (1) the Autonomic Networking Infrastructure (ANI), and (2) Autonomic
Functions (AF) built from software modules called Autonomic Service Agents
(ASA).

The ANI is specified through prior ANIMA work. It is composed of the
Autonomic Control Plane (ACP; RFC 8368), Bootstrap over Secure Key
Infrastructures (BRSKI) including Vouchers (RFC8366), and the Generic
Autonomic Signaling Protocol (GRASP). ANIMA will work on closing gaps and
extending the ANI and its components.

ANIMA will start to define Autonomic Functions (AF) to enable service
automation in networks; it will also work on generic aspects of ASA including
design guidelines and lifecycle management, coordination and dependency
management.

The reference model also discusses Intent, but ANIMA will not work on this
without explicit rechartering. It will rely on the Network Management
Research Group (NMRG) to define the next steps for this topic. ANIMA will
coordinate with other IETF and IRTF groups as needed.

The scope of possible work items are (additional works are subject to extra
approval from the responsible AD):

- Extensions to the ANI, including variations of ANI deployment (e.g. in
virtualised environments), information distribution within an AN, ANI OAMP
interfaces (Operations, Administration, Management, Provisioning),
interaction with YANG-based mechanisms, defining the domain boundary and
membership management of the domain.

- Support for Autonomic Service Agents, including design and implementation
guidelines for ASAs, life cycle management, authorization and coordination of
ASA.

- BRSKI features, including proxies, enrollment, adaptions over various
network protocols, variations of voucher formats.

- Generic use cases of Autonomic Network and new GRASP extensions/options for
them, including bulk transfer, DNS-SD interworking, autonomic resource
management, autonomic SLA assurance, autonomic multi-tenant management,
autonomic network measurement.

- Integration with Network Operations Centers (NOCs), including autonomic
discovery/connectivity to NOC, YANG-based ANI/ASA management by the NOC and
reporting AF from node to NOC.

Milestones:

  Nov 2019 - Submit Information distribution over GRASP to the IESG

  Dec 2019 - Submit Constrained Voucher Artifacts for Bootstrapping Protocols
  to the IESG

  Dec 2019 - Submit Constrained Join Proxy for Bootstrapping Protocols to the
  IESG

  Mar 2020 - Submit Lifecycle and Management of Autonomic Service Agents to
  the IESG

  Mar 2020 - Submit Guidelines for Developing Autonomic Service Agents to the
  IESG

  Jul 2020 - Recharter or close the WG