Subject: [Ans-research] RE: [manet] Request for clarification...

From: "John Stine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:21:23 -0400

Shahriar,

	The fact is there are no definitive solutions to ad hoc networking
and there are many different philosophies on where and how things should be
solved.  The routing protocols that have been the product of the Manet
working group do not yet meet the expectations of the most cited users of ad
hoc networks, military and emergency relief users.  There are many research
programs and those I am aware of are pursuing solutions that are very
different than those proposed by manet.  Although research in wireless
packet radio networks and ad hoc networks has been going on for 30 years in
one form or another, you are still at an early stage to get involved.  

	I personally believe that a deficiency in most research is that we
are trying to make ad hoc networks look like wireline networks when they
simply are not.  I present an alternative in a paper that was published just
this month in IEEE JSAC.  Please see 

Stine, J.A. and de Veciana, G., "A Paradigm for Quality-of-Service in
Wireless Ad Hoc Networks Using Synchronous Signaling and Node States" IEEE
JSAC, Vol. 20, No. 7, Sep 2004, pp. 1301-1321.

In this paper, I give an alternative approach to designing protocols for ad
hoc networks and in that approach I provide answers to most of your
questions and many others.  I hesitated to respond to your question because
what I propose is likely to be controversial and so likely to result in a
lot of challenges which I may not have the time to answer. Nevertheless, you
have the reference.  Those who want to discuss the concepts I propose, I
recommend we do so on the ans-research mailing list.

John Stine

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Shahriar Shamil Uulu
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2004 8:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] Request for clarification...

Hi everybody,
I am planning to do my research in the field of ad-hoc networks and as far
as i am going through the papers which i have downloaded and read they are
brought some ambigueties so i need some help,
1. The nodes gather in one place so they are establishing one network, how
they are first identify each other and assign the IP addresses to each
other.
2. How they are selecting the trusted nodes if the infrastructure always
in change(i meant that if one node who was head of the cluster may be left
).
3. By whome the multicasting addresses are stored if there is no router or
access point and in such situation how the multicasting protocol is
working (P.S in this question i read how they are working but my question
here is who keeping the multicast addresses and how the nodes are
registering for receiving multicast messages.)
4.Still i didnot meet any paper that explains, layer location for ad-hoc
routing protocols and their interaction between other layers(i know that
is either in between trasport and network layer).

Please who knows the clear picture of functioning of ad-hoc networks i
looking forward for your answers, any help will be appriciated.
Thank you...

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
Ans-research mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ans-research