Subject: [apps-discuss] [Fwd: DNS aliasing at IETF 78: call for participation]

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 19:39:58 +0100

FYI.

Subject: DNS aliasing at IETF 78: call for participation
From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:30:05 -0400
List-Id: IETF-Discussion <ietf.ietf.org>

Dear colleagues,

This is an update on the DNS Extensions (DNSEXT) efforts on aliasing
in the DNS, and a call for participation.  

Prior to IETF 77, we posted some background and a call for
participation.  You can find that in the archives at
<https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=933&k2=50519&tid=1277936988>

At IETF 77 in Anaheim, DNSEXT undertook two things:

    1.  We made a short presentation at the apparea meeting in an
    effort to encourage interest in this topic among users of the DNS.

    2.  We devoted a significant chunk of our WG meeting to the topic
    of what people seem to want from aliasing in the DNS.

The upshot of the Anaheim discussions, as well as subsequent
discussion over on [email-masked], has led the chairs to
propose that we adopt the topic of expanded aliasing support in the
DNS as part of a new DNSEXT charter.

In Maastricht, we will have two sessions for DNSEXT.  One of these
sessions is devoted entirely to the topic of aliasing in the DNS from
the point of view of the rest of the IETF.  That session, currently
scheduled for Wednesday morning (10:30-11:30, 0.4 Brussels), is aimed
at making sure we really understand the problem we are trying to
solve, that we have a complete picture of what needs people think they
have, and that people who think their problem is going to be solved
understand the limitations of what we are proposing to do (to the
extent anyone fully understands that).  This session will not be about
the details of how the mechanisms work, but will instead focus just on
what the mechanisms could or could not be used to accomplish.  The
goal here is to make sure that we are not overlooking serious use
cases that people have.  We expect that this will be the last such
session we will run prior to the WG commencing detailed work on this
topic (unless, of course, we find some showstopper as a result of this
discussion).

We would appreciate very much any participation from anyone in the
IETF about this topic.  If you cannot make the session on Wednesday
morning, mail either directly to us (the DNSEXT chairs:
[email-masked]) or to the namedroppers mailing list will
also be welcome.

Best regards,

Olafur Gudmundsson
Andrew Sullivan
(DNSEXT co-chairs)

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf