Subject: [apps-discuss] DNSEXT session on aliasing at IETF 78

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:39:53 -0400

Dear colleagues,

I just sent a somewhat formal note to the IETF list about this topic,
but I wanted to draw the special attention of people in the
applications area to a session we are planning for Maastricht.

We have set aside an hour on Wednesday morning to discuss the topic of
aliasing in the DNS.  I made a short presentation in the appsarea
meeting in Anaheim about this topic, and we devoted a significant
chunk of the DNSEXT meeting to this as well.

This time, we have a session devoted just to this topic, so that we
make sure we at least know what the use cases are.  It is possible
that we will not be able to accommodate all use cases realistically,
but we want to try to get a realistic outline of what people would
like, anyway.

Here is the current (draft) agenda for the Wed morning session:

SESSION II
2010-07-28 10:30-11:30

This session is intended to get as much input as possible from the
IETF community.  

A.  Aliasing: what we have and what we are planning to do (10 mins)

B.  Aliasing: the problems we are trying to solve. (10 mins)

    1.  CNAME can't redirect below.

    2.  DNAME can't redirect name itself
        a.  effects for mail

    3.  Provisioning tools not up to the job of fixing above

C.  Aliasing: what we might not be able to address. (10 mins)

    1.  Most servers need to know their own name.  

    2.  More possible names -> more ways to fool people

    3.  DNSSEC assertions from aliasA to aliasB

    4.  "Second class citizen" problem

D.  Input time: please raise your issues.  Note: it is out of order,
in this session, for anyone to say, "That can't be done."  This
session is to try to get the Big Giant List of Everything Anyone
Wants.

We really want your participation.  If you have a conflict and can't
make this session, but have strong views or preferences, please feel
free to send them to us ([email-masked]) so we can try
to express them in the session.

Best regards,

Andrew

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.