Subject: [apps-discuss] draft-ietf-eai-rfc5337bis-dsn-01.txt

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:30:13 -0800

I have been selected as an Applications Area Review Team reviewer for
this draft (for background on apps-review, please see
http://www.apps.ietf.org/content/applications-area-review-team); note
that Eliot Lear is also reviewing this draft as part of this
Team.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-eai-rfc5337bis-dsn-01.txt
Title: Internationalized Delivery Status and Disposition Notifications
Reviewer: Ted Hardie
Review Date: December 15, 2010

Summary: Reviewers were asked to look specifically at the ABNF; it
appears to me correct and the output from abnfgen seemed sensible.
Eliot and Dave Crocker have already discussed the citation issue.
There are two other issues which I feel should be resolved.

Major Issues: The document says:

NOTE: The only issue for which there is (as yet) no consensus yet is
   whether to change the name of the Address Type from "UTF-8" to
   something different, such as "UTF8", to reflect the fact that the
   "<addr <addr>>" address syntax is no longer permitted.

Reviewing the mailing list there appeared to be one participant advocating
change (SM) and one "not an exciting question" (Shawn Steele) and one
noting a problem with changing it (Martin Dürst).  5335bis in the
current version
still calls this UTF-8; I believe that should govern this spec's usage and
this note should be removed.  A note to the RFC Editor to update this document
if the nomenclature changes in the normative reference should do this;
if not, then I believe
that the IESG can permit a change by later adding a new RFC Editor
note while it is
in queue.

Minor Issues:

The document says:

   The ability to encode characters with the EmbeddedUnicodeChar
   encodings should be viewed as a transitional mechanism.  It is hoped
   that as systems lacking support for UTF8SMTP become less common over
   time, these encodings can eventually be phased out.

Transitional mechanisms generally live a long, long time, and this one seems
likely to me to live at least to the end of my career.  I would
personally suggest
striking this text, but it does no harm if left in.

Nits:
Chris Newman's address in the draft appears to be old.