Subject: [apps-discuss] [Fwd: Gen-ART LC review of draft-loreto-http-bidirectional-05.txt]

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:47:56 +1300

I thought I should forward my Gen-ART review here, since it
contains an opinion statement. See attachment.

   Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Gen-ART LC review of draft-loreto-http-bidirectional-05.txt
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:44:06 +1300
From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Organization: University of Auckland
To: [email-masked],  General Area Review Team <[email-masked]>

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 01:30:15 -0800

Hi Brain,

This comment is not about the draft.

Quoting the opinion statement and adding another draft to the mix:

>This is real example of protocol abuse. HTTP wasn't designed for 
>this and doesn't
>do this properly. The draft is non-judgmental, and that might be a mistake.

draft-iab-ip-model-evolution-02 "attempts to document the properties 
of the IP layer as they are seen by upper-layer protocols and 
applications, and especially properties which were (and at times 
still are) incorrectly perceived to exist, as well as properties that 
would cause problems if changed."

"With the advent of technologies such as Network Address Translators 
(NATs) and firewalls", ports 80 and 443 are frequently 
abused.  Saying that "HTTP wasn't designed to do this" would probably 
fall into deaf ears.  After all, TCP/IP over HTTP (RFC 3093) has been 
around for over ten years.

>Personally, if I was in the IESG, I'd be considering a "holding my 
>nose" ABSTAIN
>ballot unless some text stating that the methods described are 
>really bad ideas
>was added.

:-)

Regards,
-sm