Subject: [APPS-REVIEW] HTML5 for email client implementors

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:38:00 -0700

I've been looking at HTML5 (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/) and its  
gigantic spec, and discussing a bit with the W3C and IETF liaisons.   
It's a drastic new approach to HTML.  One of the aspects I'd like to  
see get IETF input, is the expansion in scope of requirements.

Can an email client be compliant with HTML5 -- is that a reasonable  
expectation?  What about other software applications that use HTML but  
are not browsers?

If you can take a look and answer this question, the HTML5 WG does of  
course encourage direct input to its mailing list (specified in doc  
linked above).  A volunteer aka victim for that would be best, if not  
several.  But if you can reply off-the-cuff to me or this group, that  
alone would be a good thing.

thx,
Lisa
_______________________________________________
APPS-REVIEW mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-review

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:46:07 -0700

>alone would be a good thing.

A bit of history. The Internet Mail Consortium talked about HTML 
compliance about eight years ago and walked away from it. There was a 
strong user expectation that an HTML-encoded message would appear in 
the MUA the same as it would appear if opened in their favorite 
browser. At the time, there was not nearly as much renderer-sharing 
across applications as there is now. Because of that, some MUA 
vendors (including Microsoft) didn't show things the same as 
IE/Netscape did. The world renders differently now.
_______________________________________________
APPS-REVIEW mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-review