Subject: [APPS-REVIEW] Names to Nomcom

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:50:42 -0400

Nomcom has the mail list. I did not realize nomcom had special super- 
secret IETF dispensation for warrant-less secret information  
disclosure. Ooops - sorry I let folks know they are subject to  
investigation by Nomcom. Sorry again - that was  a U.S.-centric  
political statement ;-)

I guess nomcom has special investigative powers that are not well  
publicized. I couldn't find the section analogous to the Patriot Act's  
secret data capture provisions in RFC 3777...

I suppose we should amend "Note Well" to include "Subscribing to an  
IETF mail list may subject your e-mail address for IETF-only internal  
use, beyond the mail list you have subscribed to. Trust us - it is for  
your own benefit. Really."

IMHO, this particular use really is for our benefit, but I'm massively  
worried about the slippery slope we're sliding down.

Regards,
Your way too paranoid for his own good list manager,
Eric

_______________________________________________
APPS-REVIEW mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-review

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:03:49 +0100

Eric Burger wrote:

> publicized. I couldn't find the section analogous to the Patriot 
> Act's  secret data capture provisions in RFC 3777...
>
> use, beyond the mail list you have subscribed to. Trust us - it is 
> for  your own benefit. Really."
>
> IMHO, this particular use really is for our benefit, but I'm 
> massively  worried about the slippery slope we're sliding down.

I agree with you. It is better to explicitly ask people.

Regarding my original reply in this thread: I think I now understand why 
you've sent out the message that started this thread, but it could have 
been clearer on why you were asking for this information.