Subject: [APPS-REVIEW] Applications Area Review (new) Team

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 04:21:37 -0700

Dear Applications Area Review Team,

There are currently 33 members listed as part of the Applications 
Area Review Team.  We have the two Application Area Directors, one 
IAB member and an outgoing Application Area Directors.  I suggest 
using the following guidelines:

  1. IESG members are placed on leave.  As the team is there to 
assist the two Application Area Directors, that excludes the them 
from performing reviews.

  2. Outgoing IESG members are placed on leave until the next two 
IETF meetings as they need a vacation.

  3. IAB and IAOC members are placed on leave if they have a heavy 
IETF workload.

Most of you are also Working Group Chairs and/or RFC authors and you 
are quite busy.  I would like to thank you for volunteering for the 
Applications Area Review Team.  The team relies on your participation 
to get the work done.

I sent an email to every Applications Area Review Team member.  If 
you have not received the email, please contact me at 
[email-masked].  The list of members for the Applications Area 
Review (new) Team will be drawn from those people who have explicitly 
agreed to participate.  I encourage everyone to do so as the team 
needs your expertise.

I received 12 replies up to now.  A team member pointed out that we 
could adopt a criteria to ensure a distributed and thus neutral 
review of I-Ds.  If you have any idea on how it should be done, I am 
open to advice.

There may be two types of requests for reviews.  The first type might 
be for an I-D that is scheduled for the next IESG telechat while the 
second type might be a request from the author, for example.  For the 
first type, the request might be received on the Thursday preceding 
the IESG telechat.  As far as possible, please submit your review 
before the following Tuesday evening.  The deadline for the second 
type is one week.  If you need more time, please contact me as soon 
as possible.

There may be requests for reviews that require more than one area of 
expertise.  The review can be split into two or more parts if the 
reviewer requests it.  At times, a reviewer may wish to collaborate 
informally with another member of the team to perform a review.  If 
you would like to discuss about a review with the team, feel free to 
use the apps-review mailing list.

A template for the review is available at 
http://www.apps.ietf.org/content/apps-review-template  All reviews 
should be sent to apps-discuss, the author, WG Chair and document 
shepherd.  You can search for that information at 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/ The subject of the email when 
submitting the review should be "apps-team review of draft-name".

The reviewer with the required expertise is chosen in alphabetical 
order sorted by last name from the list available at 
http://www.apps.ietf.org/content/applications-area-review-team  The 
next reviewer in line is chosen if the need arises, i.e. neutral 
reviews.  If I did not identify the desired expertise for the 
request, please point it out.  It is appropriate to do so on the 
apps-review mailing list.

Some of you might be on vacation or changing jobs.  Please notify me 
in advance so that I can assign the review to another member of the 
team.  Presently, it is not possible for me to estimate the number of 
reviews we may have to do.  I hope to be able to come up with an 
answer within a few months.  Meanwhile, we could aim to keep that to 
not more than one review a month.  If that threshold is reached, I 
will need your help to add more members to the team.

Scott Lawrence will not be assigned any review until the next IETF 
meeting.  Lisa Dusseault will not be asked to perform any review 
until the IETF meeting this year.  As John Klensin is on the IAB, I 
won't ask him to perform any review until further notice.

Alexey Melnikov and Peter Saint-Andre are the current Application 
Area Directors.  You can contact them if there are any issues with 
the work of the Applications Area Review Team or with the undersigned.

If you have any comments about the above, please post them to the 
mailing list or email me.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy