Subject: [aqm] Benoit Claise's Discuss on draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:43:25 -0800

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-09: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully an easy DISCUSS.
  3.  The algorithms that the IETF recommends SHOULD NOT require
       operational (especially manual) configuration or tuning.

This sentence above could be understood in different ways. For example,
that any configuration is wrong. 
The ability to activate AQM is a good thing IMO. 
The section 4.3 title is closer to what you intend to say: "AQM
algorithms deployed SHOULD NOT require operational tuning"
The issue is that you only define what you mean by "operational
configuration" in section 4.3

Proposal:

OLD:
  3.  The algorithms that the IETF recommends SHOULD NOT require
       operational (especially manual) configuration or tuning.

NEW: 
  3.  AQM algorithm deployment SHOULD NOT require tuning of initial or
configuration parameters. 

OLD:
4.3 AQM algorithms deployed SHOULD NOT require operational tuning

NEW:
4.3 AQM algorithm deployment SHOULD NOT require tuning

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- RFC 2309 introduced the concept of "Active Queue Management" (AQM), a
   > class of technologies that, by signaling to common congestion-
   controlled transports such as TCP, manages the size of queues that

Remove >

-
  Network devices SHOULD use an AQM algorithm to measure local local
   congestion 

local local