Subject: [aqm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-aqm-docsis-pie-02.txt> (A PIE-Based AQM for DOCSIS Cable Modems) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 13:46:14 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Active Queue Management and
Packet Scheduling WG (aqm) to consider the following document:
- 'A PIE-Based AQM for DOCSIS Cable Modems'
  <draft-ietf-aqm-docsis-pie-02.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-03-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Cable modems based on the DOCSIS(R) specification provide broadband
   Internet access to over one hundred million users worldwide.  In some
   cases, the cable modem connection is the bottleneck (lowest speed)
   link between the customer and the Internet.  As a result, the impact
   of buffering and bufferbloat in the cable modem can have a
   significant effect on user experience.  The CableLabs DOCSIS 3.1
   specification introduces requirements for cable modems to support an
   Active Queue Management (AQM) algorithm that is intended to alleviate
   the impact that buffering has on latency sensitive traffic, while
   preserving bulk throughput performance.  In addition, the CableLabs
   DOCSIS 3.0 specifications have also been amended to contain similar
   requirements.  This document describes the requirements on Active
   Queue Management that apply to DOCSIS equipment, including a
   description of the "DOCSIS-PIE" algorithm that is required on DOCSIS
   3.1 cable modems.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-docsis-pie/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-docsis-pie/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.