Subject: [aqm] paper: per flow fairness in a data center network

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 19:18:49 -0800

While I strongly agree with their premise:

"Multi-tenant DCNs cannot rely on specialized protocols and mechanisms
that assume single ownership and end-system compliance. It is
necessary rather to implement general, well-understood mechanisms
provided as a network service that require as few assumptions about DC
workload as possible."

... And there's a solid set of links to current work, and a very
interesting comparison to pfabric, their DCTCP emulation is too flawed
to be convincing, and we really should get around to making the ns2
fq_codel emulation fully match reality. This is also a scenario where
I'd like to see cake tried, to demonstrate the effectiveness (or not!)
of 8 way set associative queuing, cobalt, per host/per flow fq, etc,
vs some of the workloads they outline.

https://perso.telecom-paristech.fr/drossi/paper/rossi18hpsr.pdf

-- 

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740

---

From: "dario.rossi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 08:58:43 +0100

Ciao Dave (&all)
While I'd love to do a bit more on the topic, I recently joined Huawei, and while I still work on networking,  this one is not so aligned with my current set of activities... 
so I cannot unfortunately help moving forward :/
Best,D.
PS fyi Also I tend to read this email less freqiently than @huawei
Sent from my new-but-still-not-so-smart-phone. Excuse my typos and its random fixes
Oo   Chair holder NewNet@Paris  >    Professor, Telecom ParisTech~     Professor, Ecole Polytechnique 

-------- Original message --------From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]> Date: 12/6/18  04:18  (GMT+01:00) To: bloat <[email-masked]>, Cake List <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] Subject: paper: per flow fairness in a data center network 
While I strongly agree with their premise:

-- 

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740

---

From: Luca Muscariello <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:51:17 +0100

I disagree on the claims that DC switches do not implement anything.
They do, from quite some time now.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/white-paper-c11-738488.html

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:19 AM Dave Taht <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Cake mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.bufferbloat.net/listinfo/cake
>

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 09:09:36 -0800

> https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/white-paper-c11-738488.html

I'm really impressed. I'd have probably heard about it if they'd
mentioned bufferbloat once :/.

The graphs comparing their performance to arista's are far, far, far too
small to read. You can certainly see a huge improvement on mice in this
paper.

is there a better copy of this paper around?

What's the cheapest form of this switch I can buy? (or beg, borrow, or
steal?) I do need a 10GigE-40GigE capable switch in the lab, and BOY oh
boy oh boy would I love to test this one.

Has this tech made it into their routing products?

> Bloat mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.bufferbloat.net/listinfo/bloat

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 09:21:41 -0800

Found the PDF. Much more readable.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/white-paper-c11-738488.pdf

As much lust as I have in my heart for this switch, it costs as much
as a car! Sigh.

-- 

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740