Subject: RE: [arch-d] Valid and Invalid Internet architectures and approaches

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:48:21 -0500

I 100% agree with every statement by Thomas Narten.  I have no comment
good or bad on others. The key is what can be done and what will the
market absorb and accept as change that the IETF can do here.  Clearly
other forces alter the virtual 5 layer IP Reference Model and of late
specifically the applications layer using services planes to get around
what is not working well today.  One example is QoS and now if you
listen you also hear about Quality of Experience (QoE).  No one really
cares what is said on this list out of this list it influences nothing,
it affects nothing, and nothing will change.  Get out of denial I say to
my self the IETF still has not figured out it is only a Standards
Development Organization once we realize that, act like that, then maybe
we can develop a set of specifications that truly affect the layering
model of the IP Reference Model.  No one is going to support a fork lift
in this SDO or in the market it will NOT HAPPEN.  Thomas's bottom line I
paraphrase it here.  IETF is now just another bozo (an important bozo
but still a bozo) on the bus to NGN and so is ITU/IEEE and many
consortias like WIMAX, W3C, GGF, etc. etc. 

NB: Paul V. - The DNS v6 comments I think are a different thread not
relative to the current architecture list discussion with due respect.
I think it important, but possibly a different thread, you should start?

/jim

_______________________________________________
Architecture-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss