Subject: RE: [arch-d] Thoughts about addresses, or why the overall architecture affects routing.

From: John Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:28:20 -0500

Pekka has this right.  The alignment does not need to be precise and 
in fact it is best if it isn't.  As one of my favorite phrases 
attributed to Frege (although I am sure he never said it), the sign 
"=" should be read as "is easily confused with."  In all of his stuff 
I have read, I have never seen him allow that kind of wit, although 
he does essentially say it.

How to do this is subtle until you see it.  But it is possible and 
does facilitate routing.

John

At 16:04 -0600 2006/11/23, Schliesser, Benson wrote:
>Pekka Nikander [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:
>>  In the current architecture [...]
>>  From a mathematical point of
>>  view, one could say that the better the topology of the addressing
>>  space can be matched with the topology with of the network, the less
>>  information needs to be stored elsewhere.
>
>Perhaps somebody with better mathematical understanding could comment...
>
>When I envision an Internet with lots of network-hierarchy, I understand
>your statement to mean that aggregation is possible if addressing and
>connectivity are essentially aligned. But when I envision an Internet
>with no hierarchy this is no longer true. (As an extreme example,
>picture an Internet where every AS was directly connected to every other
>AS; compression of the address space through aggregation is only
>possible at the expense of path information.) Of course, the current
>Internet is somewhere in between. But who knows about the future?
>
>It seems to me that this relationship between connectivity and routing
>system size could be made explicit: must we inherently make assumptions
>about the relationships between networks in order to produce a more
>scalable routing and addressing architecture?
>
>Cheers,
>-Benson
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Architecture-discuss mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss

_______________________________________________
Architecture-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss