Subject: Re: [arch-d] thoughts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 05:04:40 EST

Hello all,
I am new on this mailing-list and I am also interested on the real  
architectual problems wrt. addressing, routing, and a one-face-only model  (rather than 
a model that glues together orthogonal pieces like BGP,  initial OSPF, 
OSPF-areas).
 
Nevertheless I like to respond to the following bon-mot of John Louis Petit  
first:
 
Only the differences between what some speaker A wants to say  and  some 
listener B believes to be told  will induce progress in the  discussion. Of course 
not if the differences were too big (e.g. if A and B  do not speak the same 
language). But also not if there is no difference in  understanding at all. If 
A says 1+1=2, that won't trigger any new idea by B.  It's the slight 
misunderstanding which is valuable.
 
Heiner Hummel

In einer eMail vom 18.11.2006 02:58:32 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

Time to  roll out my favourite terminology quotation again:

"I am far  from thinking that nomenclature is a remedy for every defect in
art  or science: still I cannot but feel that confusion of terms  generally
springs from, and always leads to, confusion of  ideas."

-- John Louis Petit, "Architectural  Studies in France", 1854

Maybe we should add that to the "welcome to  the list" message? :-)

_______________________________________________
Architecture-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss