Subject: Re: [arch-d] On identifiers: what is virtual and what is global (was Re: thou...

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:48:43 -0500 (EST)

> From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>

    >> If a user changes his ISP then he would get a different address anyway!

    > This is what we're trying to avoid.

Use of "address", without making clear which meaning is intended, again!
Let me say it with qualifiers, and see if you all agree:

If you mean "get a new routing-name", that is exactly what we *do* want to
happen, we don't want to avoid it. If you meant "get a new IPvN address"
(once IPvN addresses are actually location-independent names for higher-level
entities), yes, we do want to avoid that.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Architecture-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:37:25 -0800

Noel,

> Use of "address", without making clear which meaning is intended,  

I try to avoid the term "address" as it tends to result in people who  
dislike ambiguity in terminology using exclamation points. (:-)).

More seriously, when I use the term "address", I am referencing the  
values used today for source or destination fields in the IPv4 and/or  
IPv6 protocols.  That is, the bit patterns that encompass the  
functionality of both end point identifiers and routing locators.

> happen, we don't want to avoid it.

Yes. However what was being suggested by Hiener was to use a 4 byte  
ASN as part of the 16 byte "address".  If you do this _AND_ the same  
bit pattern is used for both "routing-name" (what I call a locator)  
and "application-name" (what I call an identifier), you have done  
nothing to solve the problems that have triggered this whole discussion.

> If you meant "get a new IPvN address" (once IPvN addresses are  
> actually location-independent names for higher-level entities),  
> yes, we do want to avoid that.

I don't know the term "address" means in this context.

Rgds,
-drc

---

From: Peter Sherbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:24:32 -0800 (PST)

> entities), yes, we do want to avoid that.

Does the above "location" refer to geography or network topology?

Peter

> entities), yes, we do want to avoid that.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Cheap talk?
Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.
http://voice.yahoo.com