Subject: [arch-d] IETF standards: monopoly playbook (re: draft-arkko-iab-internet-consolidation)

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 23:45:34 +0200

In the gloom & doom section the text could be a lot more explicit about
the playbook for vertical market monopolies that has created the biggest
players.

E.g:

Create a platform for competing entities offering service/products, then
leverage the fact that this platform of yours allows you to spy on those
entities and unfairly compete with them. Or better yet pass on their
business data to some less unsuspectfull third party that does that.

Publically preach net neutrality, but behind the curtain collude with
others to  get unfair advantges in the market, like placing your content
caches into network operators knowing this model will not be supported
by network operators for any set of competing OTT content providers.

Attempt to commoditize your competitors by making the IETF standardize
technology to reduce revenue opportunities for them and maximize yours.
Go to congress and ensure your business is unregulated while theirs is
highly regulated. Preach privacy when it helps exactly with this goal
but waste hours in congres diffusing the fact how you are the worst in
abusing user data. 

and so on and so forth

A lot of stuff that is happening on the Internet would have brought down
any other infrastructures such as roads or banking and/or be prohibited there.

Cheers
    Toerless