Subject: [arch-d] Internet and Architecture as Art

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 19:36:56 +0700

Dear All,

We may say that "architecture" is about "spaces formed according to
ordering principles...".

"Cyberspace" in "Tussle in Cyberspace..." I mentioned earlier was about the
Internet itself in which interests living...

Meanwhile "cyberorder" is supposedly what was concerned by the RFC 1958
"Architectural Principles of the Internet": connectivity, Internet
protocol, and end-to-end intellegence.

So what is supposedly the stylistic forms suggested by those "cyberspace"
and "cyberorders"...--may we say that it is about "net" as it is about
interconnected networks, or the Internet...?

"The design Philosophy of the DARPA Internet Protocols" (Clarck, D.D,
(1988/1995?))

with a historical note on the Internet Architecture RFC 3869 (2004).

Here, if we may, may we say about network architecture as art --of which
the Internet currently understood as computer-based networks of
communications is part...? --as Ching, F.D.K used as illustrations on his
concept of "network" in his architectural reading "Architecture: Form,
Space, and Order" (2007)...?

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Selasa, 30 April 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

> Dear All,
>
>
>
> "Cyberspace", tussle and the evolution of the network's technical
> architecture: it is in "Tussle in Cyberspace: Defining Tomorrow's Internet"
> (Clarck, D. D et all, IEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2005)
>
>
> http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/PubPDFs/Tussle%
> 20in%20Cyberspace%20Defining%20Tomorrows%20Internet%202005's
> %20Internet.pdf
>
> Regard,
> Guntur Wiseno Putra
>
> Pada Selasa, 30 April 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
> menulis:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>>
>> To say "Architecture: Form, Space and Order": would it be legitimated to
>> say "The Internet Architecture: Form, Space and Order"...? --thus it is
>> about "Cyber Form, Cyber Space, and Cyber Order"...?
>>
>>
>> An article supposedly guides a reading journey:
>>
>> https://www.espacestemps.net/articles/cyber-geography-research/
>>
>> The hypertext-linked address suggested (http://www.cybergeography.org)
>> brought us to this page:
>>
>> https://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/cybergeography/
>>
>>
>>
>> Regard,
>> Guntur Wiseno Putra
>>
>>
>> Pada Kamis, 18 April 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
>> menulis:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> (I wish that I do not repeate what were ever talked with in this
>>> [email-masked].)
>>>
>>> If we may say about "Architecture" is/as "Art" --regarding what Francis
>>> D.K. Ching said in his "Architecture: Form, Space and Order", John Wiley &
>>> Sons Inc, 2007, p. IX--, then "Internet Architecture" is/as "Internet Art".
>>>
>>> Thus supposedly this research --I finded out in such a "Library Tour"--
>>> may work for the connection:
>>>
>>> ".art: Situating Internet Art in the Traditional Institution of
>>> Contemporary Art" by Karen A. Verschooren (MIT, 2007)
>>>
>>> http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/39149
>>>
>>> discussing key players, institutions, and discourses on aesthetics,
>>> economy, and exhibition methodologies to frame a sociological analysis...
>>>
>>> "Based on the definitions of Steve Dietz and Alexander Galloway and
>>> inspired by Lisa
>>> Gitelman's understanding of protocols, I will thus in this volume define
>>> Internet art as
>>> that set of artworks, which uses Internet technology for its creation
>>> and presentation, and
>>> is characterized by a play with protocols, be they technical, economic,
>>> social or cultural". p.21
>>>
>>> Regard,
>>> Guntur Wiseno Putra
>>>
>>>
>>> Note: To the matter I also ever sent the message to Information
>>> Architecture Community Group "Information, Architecture, and Art (April
>>> 18th 2019).
>>>
>>

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 19:41:25 +0700

Dear All,

(I missed to attach the web address below...)

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/PubPDFs/The%20design%20philosophy%20of%20the%20DARPA%20internet%20protocols.pdf

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Kamis, 02 Mei 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

> "Cyberspace" in "Tussle in Cyberspace..." I mentioned earlier was about
> the Internet itself in which interests living...
>
>>>> Gitelman's understanding of protocols, I will thus in this volume
>>>> define Internet art as

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 15:13:23 +0700

Dear All,

Discourses on "Network" and Architecture.

The Internet: the interconnected networks...

Architecture is itself understood as art and science of  building; design
or style of building (Oxford English Dictionary, "Green Yellow" edition).
While "network" as complex system of lines that cross; connected system
(ibid).

There was an etymology of "network" attempted by Brigg, K. (2004/2005)

www.uvm.edu/pdodds/files/papers/others/2005/*briggs*2005a.pdf

Today among others we find the English terms work in human cultures --with
their translations in other languages...

In science we find the term "network" in computer science, social science,
and even an emerging scientific discipline of network science.

"Advanced Network Architecture"

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/index.html

"Informationalism, Technology and Network Society"

https://annenberg.usc.edu/sites/default/files/2015/04/28/Inf
ormationalism%2C%20Networks%20and%20the%20Network%20Society.pdf

"Network Science"

http://networkscience.com

As a combination of science and art, concerning with buliding houses and
the like and the related ones, architecture recognizes "network" as part of
configuring paths that connect established points in space (Ching, F.D.K,
2007, p. 265).

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Kamis, 02 Mei 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

> http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/PubPDFs/The%20d
> esign%20philosophy%20of%20the%20DARPA%20internet%20protocols.pdf
>
> Regard,
> Guntur Wiseno Putra
>
>>>> To say "Architecture: Form, Space and Order": would it be legitimated
>>>> to say "The Internet Architecture: Form, Space and Order"...? --thus it is
>>>>> If we may say about "Architecture" is/as "Art" --regarding what
>>>>> Francis D.K. Ching said in his "Architecture: Form, Space and Order", John
>>>>> Wiley & Sons Inc, 2007, p. IX--, then "Internet Architecture" is/as
>>>>> "Internet Art".
>>>>>
>>>>> Thus supposedly this research --I finded out in such a "Library
>>>>> Tour"-- may work for the connection:
>>>>>
>>>>> is characterized by a play with protocols, be they technical,
>>>>> economic, social or cultural". p.21
>>>>>
>>>>> Regard,
>>>>> Guntur Wiseno Putra
>>>>>
>>>>>

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 15:55:13 +0700

Dear All,

Ching F.D.K's "Architecture: Form, Space and Order" made no detail on what
art is. If art is understood as a way of questioning on beauty and of
provoking imagination: supposedly he meant those elements of art to worked
out by those form, space and order in collaboration.

There was "an architecture of signature" in relation with networked city
(Castells, M., "Networked City: Resaux, espace, societe) supposedly
concerning with network art.

While in relation with the computer as a machine, supposedly "cyber" and
"network" provide us with such nuances of the same thing: such
communication and control of network system of machine. Thus we may say
"cyber-network art"...

In a society of flexible network of language game, "postmodern art"
represents an enthusiasm to affirm non-presence --examplified by those
works of Marcel Proust and James Joyce (Lyotard, J.F, "What is
Postmodernism" in "The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, 1989
--while I red on its Indonesian version").

Regarding with the network of language game we may look at a situation of
"technological context of man made possible by language" so that man could
think of the Internet in relation with art, city and space . So it was said
by Bolhuis, J. et all, "How Could Language Have Evolved"? p. 6)

 http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/90974

http://dspace.mit.edu/openaccess-disseminate/1721.1/90974

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Sabtu, 04 Mei 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

>>> So what is supposedly the stylistic forms suggested by those
>>> "cyberspace" and "cyberorders"...--may we say that it is about "net" as it
>>> is about interconnected networks, or the Internet...?
>>>

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 13:45:25 +0700

Dear All,

To the same type of society referred by Lyotard, one with such a  large
operation of capital, G. Deleuze and F. Guattari suggested a pedagogy on
philosophy of which art was also introduced in terms of percept and affect
("What is Philosophy?", 1994--while I red on its Indonesian version).

Thus, the Internet architecture may be understood as representing
cyber-network art in collaboration with cyber-network science: yet what
 beauties are questioned, and what imaginations are provoked, by such an
architecture, by such an art, which is about a function of
communication...? --those beauties and imaginations of a way to
communicate...?

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Minggu, 05 Mei 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

>> Today among others we find the English terms work in human cultures
>> --with their translations in other languages...
>>
>> In science we find the term "network" in computer science, social
>> science, and even an emerging scientific discipline of network science.
>>
>>>> Here, if we may, may we say about network architecture as art --of
>>>> which the Internet currently understood as computer-based networks of
>>>>>>> that set of artworks, which uses Internet technology for its
>>>>>>> creation and presentation, and

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 21:24:52 +0700

Dear All,

What are beauties questioned, what are imaginations provoked, by the
Internet as a way to communicate --thus by its architecture, by its art...?

There are beauties bring ones to hopes: which are about next readings on
the Internet architecture --which are also about discursive productions...
Thus there are:
- technical readings on the Internet protocols (eg. RFCs www.rfc-editor.org)
- non-technical readings (eg. journal analyses, lectures)
- artistic readings (eg. cybergeography on conceptual and artistic)

There are also imaginations: thise ranging from a limited ARPANET
environment, to the Internet society (www.isoc.org), to "Information
Society" (www.itu.int on "Measuring Information Society" reports), to the
interplanetary Internet (www.ipnsig.org)...

To add what were just said about "hope": "What is hope which is not
non-hope also"? As we may say "It does not work any longer, but we still
have chances, let's take a look at solutions...". Those are what happen
with obsoleted or updated RFCs as there are (re)interpretations and
(re)evaluations...

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Senin, 06 Mei 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

>> Ching F.D.K's "Architecture: Form, Space and Order" made no detail on
>> what art is. If art is understood as a way of questioning on beauty and of
>>> Architecture is itself understood as art and science of  building;
>>> design or style of building (Oxford English Dictionary, "Green Yellow"
>>> edition). While "network" as complex system of lines that cross; connected
>>> system (ibid).
>>>
>>>>> "Cyberspace" in "Tussle in Cyberspace..." I mentioned earlier was
>>>>> about the Internet itself in which interests living...
>>>>>
>>>>> Meanwhile "cyberorder" is supposedly what was concerned by the RFC
>>>>> 1958 "Architectural Principles of the Internet": connectivity, Internet
>>>>>>> To say "Architecture: Form, Space and Order": would it be
>>>>>>> legitimated to say "The Internet Architecture: Form, Space and Order"...?
>>>>>>> --thus it is about "Cyber Form, Cyber Space, and Cyber Order"...?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> The hypertext-linked address suggested (
>>>>>>> http://www.cybergeography.org) brought us to this page:
>>>>>>>

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 20:11:55 +0700

Dear All,

A correction should be made to the orevious message:

There are supposedly  beauties bringing ones to hopes: which are about next
readings on the Internet architecture --which are also about discursive
productions... Thus there are:
- technical readings on the Internet protocols (eg. IAB (www.iab.org), IETF
(www.ietf.org), RFCs (www.rfc-editor.org))
- non-technical readings (eg. journal analyses, lectures referring
non-technical situations, those social ones...)

In those technical and non-technical readings there are artistic readings
(eg. the Internet protocols as architectural programmes, cybergeography on
conceptual and artistic (www.cybergeography.org))-- as they question
beauties and provoke imaginations...

There were also imaginations: those ranging from a limited ARPANET
environment to DARPA one. There are also imaginations on the Internet
society (www.isoc.org), to "Information Society" (www.itu.int on "Measuring
Information Society" reports), to the Internet interplanetery (
www.ipnsig.org)...

Here should we remember "form, space, and order" as so far guiding an
understanding on "architecture": there are "cyber-network form",
cyber-network space" and "cyber-network principle"...

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Senin, 06 Mei 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

>>> Regarding with the network of language game we may look at a situation
>>> of "technological context of man made possible by language" so that man
>>> could think of the Internet in relation with art, city and space . So it
>>> was said by Bolhuis, J. et all, "How Could Language Have Evolved"? p. 6)
>>>
>>>> As a combination of science and art, concerning with buliding houses
>>>> and the like and the related ones, architecture recognizes "network" as
>>>> part of configuring paths that connect established points in space (Ching,
>>>> F.D.K, 2007, p. 265).
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Regard,
>>>> Guntur Wiseno Putra
>>>>
>>>>>>>>> discussing key players, institutions, and discourses on
>>>>>>>>> aesthetics, economy, and exhibition methodologies to frame a sociological
>>>>>>>>> analysis...
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> "Based on the definitions of Steve Dietz and Alexander Galloway
>>>>>>>>> and inspired by Lisa

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 22:27:20 +0700

Dear All,

How do form, space and order in terms of cyber-network become an art --one
questioning on beauties and provoking imaginations...?

There was an understanding on art: "postmodern art" (Lyotatd, J.F,
"Answering Question: What is Postmodetnism" an appendix in "Postmodern
Condition: A Report on Knowledge", 1989-- while I red on its Indonesian
version). It considered a society of flexible network of language game. It
came with a question on Habermas' concept on modernity and hypotheses
insipired by Hegel's totality of dialectics experience, Kant's Critique and
Wittgenstein's and Adorno's postmodernism.

By sociologically,  historically and politically, considering art situation
in his time --which were struggles for art, those art projects for
"reality" as societies worked on-- Lyotard came to an understanding on a
duty/affair to create allusions for something recognizable but
unpresentable. It was without hoping for last reconciliation among language
games and without hoping also that it was only transcendental illusion able
to tolerate the language games to become a real unity.

It was Kant's concept on "the sublime", "taste", and "reflective"relating
what "postmodern art" dealt: allusions concerning with what recognizable
but unpresentable.

If the understanding on art, thus, helpful in working on such concepts as
"cyber-network", "form", "space" and "order" for such the Internet
architecture, such the Internet art...?

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Selasa, 07 Mei 2019, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> menulis:

> There are supposedly  beauties bringing ones to hopes: which are about
> next readings on the Internet architecture --which are also about
> discursive productions... Thus there are:
> - technical readings on the Internet protocols (eg. IAB (www.iab.org),
> IETF (www.ietf.org), RFCs (www.rfc-editor.org))
> society (www.isoc.org), to "Information Society" (www.itu.int on
> "Measuring Information Society" reports), to the Internet interplanetery (
> www.ipnsig.org)...
>
>> Society" (www.itu.int on "Measuring Information Society" reports), to
>> the interplanetary Internet (www.ipnsig.org)...
>>
>>>> There was "an architecture of signature" in relation with networked
>>>> city (Castells, M., "Networked City: Resaux, espace, societe) supposedly
>>>> While in relation with the computer as a machine, supposedly "cyber"
>>>> and "network" provide us with such nuances of the same thing: such
>>>>>>> "The design Philosophy of the DARPA Internet Protocols" (Clarck,
>>>>>>> D.D, (1988/1995?))
>>>>>>>