Subject: [arch-d] Privsec programme conclusion

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 13:29:21 +1000

The IAB recently confirmed its collective intent to close the privsec programme.

The privsec programme was formed from separate privacy and security programmes
in 2014, when it was clear that a unified effort was necessary to deal with the
challenges of the time.  Over that period, there have been improvements in
general awareness of challenges in these areas, with advancements in both the
definition and deployment of secure protocols.  To a large extent, the
responsibility for the problems that motivated the creation of the unified
programme has moved to the IETF.  Even though these are by no means "solved"
problems, it is now accepted they are addressed as part of the normal day-to-day
work of the IETF rather than a semi-closed IAB programme.

Though there continues to be a need for work in this general area, the IAB
believes that the current form of the privsec programme is not well suited to
address the full breadth of contemporary issues.  Today, we are facing a range
of subtle and complex problems in this area, including the effect of improved
security on consolidation, the tension between use of encryption and protective
systems deployed in the network, the way in which centralization of different
services can be simultaneously used to improve privacy and degrade it, and the
demands of governments on systems that provide security.

The IAB welcomes input on how these and related topics may best be addressed and
how the IAB might best contribute.  The IAB very much consider these to be
"live" topics, are committed to continued engagement, and aim to continue to
ensure that these topics are at the forefront of IETF considerations.

The IAB would like to thank members of the program, past and present, for their
contributions.