Subject: Re: [arch-d] IAB report to the community

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 07:19:01 -0800

Hello,
At 05:23 PM 15-11-2019, Ted Hardie wrote:
>Here is the IAB report for the period between IETF 105 and IETF 
>106.  If you have topics or issues you want to discuss by email, 
>feel free to send your comments to [email-masked] (our 
>public discussion list) or [email-masked] (to reach just the IAB).

The Tech Plenary is expected to be on a topic of interest to at least 
several IETF Areas and to "inform our work".  I went through the past 
plenaries and noticed that there wasn't any Tech Plenary for three 
consecutive IETF meetings.  Is it because it was difficult to get 
interesting speakers?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 08:15:06 +0800

> consecutive IETF meetings.  Is it because it was difficult to get

Trying to hit the sweet spot of 1) topics of broad interest, presented
by 2) great speakers who are 3) available during an IETF meeting is
surprisingly difficult.

After a few tech plenaries that didn't work out as well as one might
have liked and on which we got substantial negative feedback, we decided
to not have technical plenaries unless we're pretty comfortable with the
quality.  We had some tentative topics lined up during that period but
unfortunately speakers weren't available.  We're also discussing
alternatives to the current format, including things like likely smaller
sessions of narrower interest at times outside the IETF plenary, etc.

Also, we did get some excellent suggestions in the post-Montreal meeting
survey and will be following up on some of those.

Melinda

-- 
Software longa, hardware brevis

PGP key fingerprint  4F68 2D93 2A17 96F8 20F2
                     34C0 DFB8 9172 9A76 DB8F

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 00:20:24 -0800

Hi Melinda,
>sessions of narrower interest at times outside the IETF plenary, etc.

Thank you for the feedback.

People usually find time if the event is relevant to them (please see 
(2) and (3)).

Regards,
S. Moonesamy