Subject: Re: [arch-d] Draft IAB conflict of interest policy

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 00:28:59 -0800

Hi Alvaro,
At 06:54 AM 09-01-2020, Alvaro Retana wrote:
>(2) Liaison managers (to other organizations) represent the interests
>of the IETF, should they be subject to a similar COI policy?  Maybe it
>is not appropriate to include them in this specific policy, but I
>didn't find anything in rfc4052 related to this point.

I'll comment on (2).  The communication from an IETF Liaison Manager 
is expected to "represent the IETF".  The designated authority is 
within the IETF.  Would it be okay if the IAB were to set a policy or 
would it be up to the IESG to do that?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 09:39:58 +0100

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 9:29 AM S Moonesamy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> For the appointments made by the IAB, the IAB has set policy in the past,
e.g.
https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2015-2/iab-statement-on-liaison-compensation/
.   Individuals must also follow the policies of the body to which they are
appointed.  Those appointed by the IAB to the ISOC Board of Trustees, for
example, follow the board's conflict of interest policy.

regards,

Ted

> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy
>
> _______________________________________________
> Architecture-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss
>

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 11:40:41 -0800

Hi Ted,
At 12:39 AM 04-02-2020, Ted Hardie wrote:
>For the appointments made by the IAB, the IAB has set policy in the 
>past, e.g. 
><https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2015-2/iab-statement-on-liaison-compensation/>https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2015-2/iab-statement-on-liaison-compensation/ 
>.   Individuals must also follow the policies of the body to which 
>they are appointed.  Those appointed by the IAB to the ISOC Board of 
>Trustees, for example, follow the board's conflict of interest policy.

Thanks for pointing to the IAB statement.

The mail archives show that there was an IAB statement without any 
significant discussion whereas RFC 4052 went through IESG 
Evaluation.  RFC 4052 was not set by the body doing the appointment.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy