Subject: Re: [arch-d] FYI: "ISOC" "New IP" "discussion" "paper"

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 14:42:52 +0700

Dear Brian, Carsten, Toerless,
architecture-discuss, &
discussion-papers,

An institutional collaborative platforms by the IETF and the ISOC working
on IP design :

* Carsten Bormann on the IETF liaisons on "New IP" (8Apr2020):

… and you can find one thoughtful piece of discussion from the IETF chair
at the unlikely place of https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1677/

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/architecture-discuss/owxIyFzSzTMFPDqFmXzfBGhwRRU/

** Toerless Eckert on "Discussion Paper on An Analysis of the New IP
Proposal to the ITU-T" worked by the Internet Society (The1st of this
thread):

https://www.internetsociety.org/resources/doc/2020/discussion-paper-an-analysis-of-the-new-ip-proposal-to-the-itu-t/

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/architecture-discuss/NdNoxMpGbOsh7bBzOkDSRkp2QH8/

Thus,

there is a collaborative platform which is about the IETF and the ISOC
working together on "New IP":

- institutional collaborations for Internet Standard Process : Those are in
accordance with what are mentioned in RFC 2026 which is especially about
the ISOC having important role in "Internet Standard Process" together with
other organizations involved in in the Internet standard process mentioned
in RFC 2028 (IETF, IETF WG, IETF Sec, ISOC, IAB, IESG, IANA, IRTF)

"...The Internet Standards process is an activity of the Internet Society
that is organized and managed on behalf of the Internet community by the
Internet Architecture Board (IAB) and the Internet Engineering Steering
Group (IESG)".

(RFC 2026 -- Internet Standard Process

sec. 1. Introduction p. 3)

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt

"The Internet Society (ISOC) is an international organization concerned
with the growth and evolution of the worldwide Internet and with the
social, political, and technical issues that arise from its use...

Internet standardization is an organized activity of the ISOC, with the
Board of Trustees being responsible for ratifying the procedures and rules
of the Internet standards process [B]".

(RFC 2028 sec. 3 "Key organization involved in the process" p. 4)

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2028

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Jumat, 01 Mei 2020, Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
menulis:

> On 01-May-20 01:54, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> >
> > Hiya,
> >
> > On 30/04/2020 14:49, Andrew Campling wrote:
> >> In addition to the public mailing list that ISOC has subsequently
> >> created
> >> (https://elists.isoc.org/mailman/listinfo/discussion-papers/), is
> >> there a suitable forum for discussion of the "New IP" proposal within
> >> the IETF (noting from earlier debate that the Architecture-discuss
> >> list is technically an IAB one)?
> > I'm confused. Why does it matter if arch-d is an IAB list?
> >
> > Seems to me that this is a reasonable list for discussion
> > of Internet architecture.
>
> As I have argued in my recent rant, the IETF (which of course appoints
> the IAB members) is probably the best venue we have. And the IAB's
> job description includes A for Architecture. So yes, as long as we
> don't imagine ourselves to have any power of decision.
>
>      Brian
>
> _______________________________________________
> Architecture-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss
>

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 09:25:03 -0400

I'm the CEO of the Internet Society and posting with that hat on, but
from this address out of convenience.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 09:58:57PM +0000, Ian Peter wrote:

> Perhaps some restrictions were placed on new memberships in these
> circumstances?

I'm replying to this in order to stop such speculation from taking
hold.  There have been no additional constraints on membership of the
internet-policy or any other ISOC list since last November.  The
interface for subscribing is awful because it was added to an
off-the-shelf association membership system.  You need to be a member
of the Internet Society to join its lists due to a side effect of the
way we understand the GDPR to work and our liability under it (it's a
little different for newly-created lists).

Best regards,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]