Subject: [arch-d] The Internet Architecture for Pandemics/Emergencies/Crises

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 21:25:01 +0700

Dear architecture-discuss,

 "The Internet Architecture for Pandemics/Emergencies/Crises"

I red the ISOC's page of news blog --while there are other ones-- on
current happening "Covid -19 Pandemic"

"What does a Global Pandemic Means for the Internet"? (08 April 2020)

https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2020/04/what-does-a-glo
bal-pandemic-mean-for-the-internet/

If we may change slightly the title with

"What does a Global Pandemic Means for the Internet ARCHITECTURE"?

Supposedly it takes us to a notion on "The Internet Architecture for
Pandemics/Emergencies/Crises" --it refers not only to the current Covid-19
pandemic but other possible pandemic/emergencies/crises.

Here perhaps engineers/architects with such passions and skills: Currently
it is published by the ISOC Foundation:

Emergency Response Grant Programme: COVID-19

Dead line: May 17th

https://www.isocfoundation.org/grant-programme/emergency-
response-grant-programme-covid19/

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

---

From: John Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 10:59:14 -0400

A pandemic might mean something for a configuration built to the architecture.

But if the architecture is lacking then it wasn’t a very good architecture to begin with.  ;-)

There is a distinction between architecture and ‘buildings’ built to that architecture.  Particular constructions can always have problems. Architecture does not guarantee that the builders don’t make mistakes.

John

> On May 8, 2020, at 10:25, Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I red the ISOC's page of news blog --while there are other ones-- on current happening "Covid -19 Pandemic"
> 
> https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2020/04/what-does-a-global-pandemic-mean-for-the-internet/ <https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2020/04/what-does-a-global-pandemic-mean-for-the-internet/>
> 
> 
> Supposedly it takes us to a notion on "The Internet Architecture for Pandemics/Emergencies/Crises" --it refers not only to the current Covid-19 pandemic but other possible pandemic/emergencies/crises.
> 
> Here perhaps engineers/architects with such passions and skills: Currently it is published by the ISOC Foundation:
> 
> https://www.isocfoundation.org/grant-programme/emergency-response-grant-programme-covid19/ <https://secure-web.cisco.com/1X7KfZEUy3xIN0ao2dBm0J10Qlp9r4MdH1B6uQRgpDUd3pA7tmvTqHg309cYK556TySEWnKD45LBzh1MPjuSYq9pv4Objp1FalpB6aVKh1PM8ghDRs_ASZQkANo7iu6P5u7zq0EPI6MZsYtTSAEch9ZtwUOFTLusMHSxphV3W2zl5ACfHq-l7iXbgPFeWZCLyuSn7T1gReBG2XwxaFPsMqKh1MtP7JYj18SlGmw8bKXGz490dNCLqNLITrZpOqphPk592WPOWnWZktHnx__Q_RJha1B-o3wXleMMy_FqmtixrGpkfITp-RzkQITV4GzYO-EpnN5YxpcEa6wieUvUyKA/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.isocfoundation.org%2Fgrant-programme%2Femergency-response-grant-programme-covid19%2F>
> 
> 
> 
> Regard,
> Guntur Wiseno Putra
> _______________________________________________
> Architecture-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 17:33:19 +0200

Thanks, Guntur,

In reading the ISOC call for proposals page, i am pretty sure that
they wouldn't bother about long-term, fundamental architecture improvements
as being within scope.

[For example, i was appalled by the desire/need
 to manage Internet QoS through phone calls from heads of state to Netflix,
 so they would reduce pressure of video traffic onto the now more
 important traffic (WFH etc.). In my world, the network should itself be able to
 perform QoS to do that, no management by phone needed. But i am sure that OTT
 providers will continue to fight against that architectural evolution
 of the Internet with the fake argument of "net neutrality" to serve
 their financial bottom line.]

I forwarded to manycouched and mboned because scalable, free video conferencing
specifically for emergency response style large scale conferences is
certinly a key tool, but to me the ISOC call for proposals looks like
very much baked to favour established administrative entities (must be
able to have track record to manage the money). Aka: I fear it will
exclude core technical innovators that have not managed to build up
a bureaucracy large enough to deal with money that way. Too bad.

Managing the money is a service that ISOC should be able to provide
to innovators.

Cheers
    Toerless

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 02:49:23 -0700

Hi Toerless,
>a bureaucracy large enough to deal with money that way. Too bad.

According to the blog post, the grant is from a foundation which is 
based in Virginia (United States).  It looks oriented for that 
country given that one of the requirements is 501c3 or 
equivalent.  The track record requirement favors entities which are 
already established.

There has to be some checks in place or else you will end up 
sponsoring illegal activities or inappropriate use of 
funds.  Bureaucracy ignores genuine cases, e.g. the people you would 
like to help may not fulfill the requirements.  It can also end up 
driving funding towards managing the funds instead of the actual objective.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 May 2020 20:03:48 -0000

In article <[email-masked]>,
Toerless Eckert  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>... to me the ISOC call for proposals looks like

I expect it won't be a surprise to hear that since the ISOC foundation
is in the U.S., it has to follow U.S. law.

Also, 501(c)(3) is not very difficult to qualify for.  There are over
a million registered non-profits in the U.S., and while a few are
large, 75% of them have annual budgets under $50K.

-- 
Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 20:55:16 +0700

Dear John Day, Toerless,
S. Moonesamy, John Levine &
architecture-discuss,

Those the ISOC-sponsored organizations will perhaps be at field together
with this UN-sponsored initiative --especially with people of
"communication and management"-- to work on the Internet (architecture--if
there are emergencies)-related problems:

Volunteers for Novel Coronavirus (Covid 19) Pandemic Response

https://www.unv.org/Volunteers-for-Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-
19-pandemic-response

This page said among others on how the pandemic affected essential public
services: a matter of which it is perhaps about the Internet deployments..?

NOTE:

Critical points of the news blog "What Does A Global Pandemic Means for the
Internet?" I referred to at the previous message:

"The Internet has long been a connector beyond the physical. Now, it’s the
only reason people are able to see their faraway loved ones and complete
remote projects with their coworkers amid pandemic-prompted social
distancing. It’s a great moment for the technology...":

- the Internet access at home.

- a secure way to communicate....

- innovative ways using the Internet to communicate: people are realizing
the importance of the Internet

- funds for broadband infrastructures

- engineering networks

- traffic, platform, infrastructure

- cybersecurity: platforms and services, privacy, phishing attack/malware

- we are learning

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 09:26:34 -0700

Dear Gunter,
At 06:55 AM 10-05-2020, Guntur Wiseno Putra wrote:
>Those the ISOC-sponsored organizations will perhaps be at field 
>together with this UN-sponsored initiative --especially with people 
>of "communication and management"-- to work on the Internet 
>(architecture--if there are emergencies)-related problems:
><https://www.unv.org/Volunteers-for-Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-19-pandemic-response>https://www.unv.org/Volunteers-for-Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-19-pandemic-response

Thank you for sharing the link.  I was not aware of that initiative.

>This page said among others on how the pandemic affected essential 
>public services: a matter of which it is perhaps about the Internet 
>deployments..?

The impact, if there was one, would be localized as essential public 
services are provided by government.  There isn't any (unbiased) 
information to show that Internet deployments caused problems which 
affected essential public services.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 18:46:29 +0100 (BST)

Hi

I don't know if this is relevant but I will ask you to decide please, 
just in case it is relevant.
https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2020/20078-n4710-liaison-stmt.pdf
https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2020/20136-sc2-response.pdf
These are linked from
https://www.unicode.org/L2/L-curdoc.htm
Also, my research on communicating through the language barrier may 
possibly be relevant, as I have a small study on seeking information 
about relatives and friends through the language barrier after a 
disaster.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_research.htm
William Overington
Sunday 10 May 2020

------ Original Message ------
From: "Guntur Wiseno Putra" <[email-masked]>
To: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; 
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, 2020 May 10 At 14:55
Subject: [arch-d] The Internet Architecture for 
Pandemics/Emergencies/Crises
Dear John Day, Toerless,
S. Moonesamy, John Levine &
architecture-discuss,

Those the ISOC-sponsored organizations will perhaps be at field together 
with this UN-sponsored initiative --especially with people of 
"communication and management"-- to work on the Internet 
(architecture--if there are emergencies)-related problems:

https://www.unv.org/Volunteers-for-Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-19-pandemic-response 
<https://www.unv.org/Volunteers-for-Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-19-pandemic-response>

deployments...?

NOTE:

Critical points of the news blog "What Does A Global Pandemic Means for 
the Internet?" I referred to at the previous message:

"The Internet has long been a connector beyond the physical. Now, it’s 
the only reason people are able to see their faraway loved ones and 
complete remote projects with their coworkers amid pandemic-prompted 
social distancing. It’s a great moment for the technology...":

- innovative ways using the Internet to communicate: people are 
realizing the importance of the Internet

- engineering networks

- cybersecurity: platforms and services, privacy, phishing 
attack/malware

- we are learning

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra
Pada Minggu, 10 Mei 2020, John Levine <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> > menulis:
In article <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >,

  --
  Regards,
  John Levine, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> , Primary 
Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
  Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. 
https://jl.ly <https://jl.ly>

  _______________________________________________
  Architecture-discuss mailing list
  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss 
<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss>

<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss>

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 08:56:40 -0400

Hi,

I'm employed by the Internet Society and Internet Society Foundation [1]
as the CEO, and speaking with that hat on, though I'm posting from my
home address as a matter of convenience.

> they wouldn't bother about long-term, fundamental architecture improvements

The COVID-19 fund is an emergency-response fund, yes.  There is a
planned research tranche of funding from the ISOC Foundation to come
available for application later in the year.  Formal architecture work
is more likely to fit under that category.

> a bureaucracy large enough to deal with money that way. Too bad.

The ISOC Foundation is a granting agency.  It's intended to give money
to others, not to run programmes of its own, so the entity that gets
the money needs to be able to manage it.  If nothing else, US law
requires those giving out charitable grants to be able to account for
the money, and that is the reason that the Foundation requires
recipients to account for the money they receive.  This is a pretty
standard requirement.
 
> Managing the money is a service that ISOC should be able to provide

This seems like a request that ISOC get into the business of direct
support for innovation research with respect to the Internet.  There
has been some thinking about this.  I suspect that an IAB list is the
wrong place to discuss how ISOC should construct its future
programmes, however, and I encourage people who want to have such
discussions to be members of the Internet Society and have that
discussion on ISOC mailing lists.

Best regards,

A

[1] Strictly speaking, the Internet Society and the Internet Society
Foundation are separate entities.  The Foundation is a supporting
organiation of the Internet Society.  Historically, the Internet
Society provided both grants to others and also undertook activities
through its own staff.  This tended to muddy the waters grants
vs. staff activity.  With the Foundation, therefore, we have the
opportunity to make clear which things are simply grants to others
(who get the money and are therefore responsible for managing it) and
which things are activities of the Internet Society itself.  Formally,
the ISOC Foundation's Board of Directors is the same as ISOC's Board
of Trustees, and as currently constituted I'm the CEO of both; in
practice the Foundation has a separate Executive Director and budget.
The money to support the IETF, by the way, actually comes from the
Foundation.

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 19:50:36 +0700

Dear Andrew &
architecture-discuss,

"Covid-19 Emergency Response" is currently a main concern for the
Internet-related workers/learners (--and I am making a reading list at the
ISOC Open Forum Library "The Internet and Emergencies/Crises: Covid-19"):

The Internet for Covid-19 Emergencies/Crises Response Programme?

"What Does a Global Pandemic Mean for the Internet"?

https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2020/04/what-does-a-global-pandemic-mean-for-the-internet/

"ISOC Emergency Response Programme Grant: Covid-19"

https://www.isocfoundation.org/grant-programme/emergency-response-grant-programme-covid19/

There is a UN-sponsored initiative --especially regarding with people of
"communication and data management"-- which may work on the
Internet-related problems:Volunteers for Novel Coronavirus (Covid 19)
Pandemic Response

https://www.unv.org/Volunteers-for-Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-1
9-pandemic-response

There are "Liaison Statements" between the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF) and the International Telecommunication Union-Telecommunication
Standards (ITU-T) on "Emergency Telecommunications" available at

https://datatacker.ietf.org/liaison/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/548/

https://datatacker.ietf.org/liaison/362/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/277/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/lisison/810/

The International Telecommunication Union's page on "COVID-19"

https://www.itu.int/en/Pages/covid-19.aspx

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra