Subject: [arch-d] Two outcomes from the Plenary and iabopen

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 08:22:28 -0600

I agree with Lixia's summary of the two recommendations that came out of 
the plenary and IABOPEN discussions.

After I suggested a workshop on consolidation, Jari presented a wealth 
of prior art on the topic. And, during the Plenary, Stephen made the 
remark, "What was wrong with the previous workshop?" Both are helpful.

In thinking about both it seems that any workshop needs to be tightly 
focused on the relationship between protocol design and consolidation. 
An open forum on the economic, political or social implications of 
consolidation would certainly be interesting, but probably not lead to 
actionable outcomes. For me, there are other venues that might be more 
appropriate to talk about societal implications of consolidation.

But I can think of no better place to talk about the relationship 
between consolidation and protocol design than the IETF. So, my feedback 
to the IAB is that, yes, a workshop on consolidation would still be 
useful. The scoping of such a workshop is crucial and should be focused 
on protocol design and Internet architecture. Perhaps, in setting up 
such a workshop, the IAB could clearly indicate what was both in, and 
out, of scope.

So, echoing Lixia: 1] yes, to a different admin/announce IAB list; and 
2] yes, to a properly scoped IAB workshop on consolidation.

mark
-- 
Mark McFadden