Subject: Re: [arch-d] Call for Comment: <draft-iab-use-it-or-lose-it-02> (Long-term Viability of Protocol Extension Mechanisms)

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:23:36 -0400

I read the document, and I encourage the IAB to publish it.

Russ

> On Aug 25, 2021, at 2:43 PM, IAB Executive Administrative Manager <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> This is an announcement of an IETF-wide Call for Comment on 
> draft-iab-use-it-or-lose-it-02.
> 
> The document is being considered for publication as an Informational RFC 
> within the IAB stream, and is available for inspection at:
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-use-it-or-lose-it/>
> 
> The Call for Comment will last until 2021-09-22. Please send comments to
> [email-masked] and [email-masked].
> 
> Abstract:
> 
>   The ability to change protocols depends on exercising the extension
>   and version negotiation mechanisms that support change.  This
>   document explores how regular use of new protocol features can ensure
>   that it remains possible to deploy changes to a protocol.  Examples
>   are given where lack of use caused changes to be more difficult or
>   costly.

---

From: Guntur Wiseno Putra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 10:57:19 +0700

Dear Architecture-discuss,

The abstract said:

"The ability to change protocols depends on exercising the extension and
version negotiation mechanisms that support change. This document explores
how regular use of new protocol features can ensure that it remains
possible to deploy changes to a protocol. Examples are given where lack of
use caused changes to be more difficult or costly. "

1)The extension mechanism would be a way perhaps for next applications of
electronic genetics (electronic anti body, for example) --considering the
current event Covid 19 Pandemic.

"Finally, the promise of genetic engineering is precisely its ability to
reprogram
different codes and their protocols of communication in different areas of
different bodies (or systems) of different species".

(Manuel Castell's "Informationalism, Technology and Network Society"
section"Informationalism: the Technologocal Paradigm of Network Society"

(Manuel Castell, "Informationalism, Technology and Network Society"

https://annenberg.usc.edu/sites/default/files/2015/04/28/
Informationalism%2C%20Networks%20and%20the%20Network%20Society.pdf
)

2) Yet, perhaps, if in our day emplacement supplants extension, so the
extension mechanism of the Internet mentioned above has its limits:

"In our day, emplacement is supplanting extension which itself replaced
localization. Emplacement is defined by the relations of proximity between
points or elements. In formal terms these can be described as series,
trees, lattices. ...

(There is) the importance of problems of emplacement in contemporary
engineering: the storage of information or of the partial results of a
calculation on the memory of a machine, the calculation of discrete
elements, with a random output (such as, quite simply, automobile or in
fact the tones on a relephone line), the identification of tagged or coded
elements in an ensemble that is either distributed haphazardly or sorted in
a univocal classification, or sorted according in a plurivocal
classificatoon, and so on. The problem of place or emplacement is posed in
terms of demography (also)...

Furthermore there was an analysis of "the space outside" which went to an
interest to certain emplacements "that have the curious property of being
connnected to all (the???) other emplacenents, but in such a way that they
suspend, neutralize, or reverse the set of relations that are designated,
reflected, or represented ("réflechis") by them... (as they) are of two
great types": utopias and heterotopias".

NOTE: I red a machine-based copy of Foucault, Michel, "Aesthetics, Method
and Epistemology: Essential Works of Foucault 1954-1984 Volume Two(edited
by James Faubion), Penguin Books, 2000 Ch. "Different Spaces" pp. 175-86.
This is the text of a lecture presented to the Architectural Studies Circle
14 March 1967; it was first published until 1984 ("Architecture, Mouvement,
Continuité 5 (October 1984)).

Regard,
Guntur Wiseno Putra

Pada Senin, 13 September 2021, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> menulis:

> _______________________________________________
> Architecture-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss
>