Subject: [arch-d] Comments on draft-nottingham-avoiding-internet-centralization-00

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 20:50:16 -0800

Hi Mark,

I have a few comments about 
draft-nottingham-avoiding-internet-centralization-00.  The draft is 
well-written.  However, there is some work to be done to tease out 
the ideas and weed out ideas which might be a distraction from the topic.

Section 2 states that "Centralization is undesirable in the design of 
Internet protocols for many reasons ..."  Section 3 argues that 
centralization is necessary to have a "single source of truth".  Does 
the list of "deleterious effects" in Section 2 apply to Section 3?

The SMTP example in Section 4 lumps addressing and message transport 
together.   The addressing is somebody else's problem; in this case 
DNS.  There is a discussion about that in RFC 882.

What does multi-stakeholder bodies (Section 4.2) have to do with 
avoiding centralization?

The draft argues that the IETF is an example of 
multi-stakeholderism.  That is debatable.  The participation model 
used by the IETF is based on individualism.  The individuals do not 
have to identify themselves as belonging to a constituency.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy