Subject: [armd] Suggestion for ARMD charter and scope

From: "So, Ning" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:05:19 +0000

Linda,

As discussed, here are some of the work I believe should be included in
the ARMD scope of work from a carrier's perspective.  

*         Address scalability and mobility:  Service provider's data
centers offering cloud storage and computing services are much larger
than the traditional enterprise data centers. The number of hosts
(virtual hosts sold to clients) to be supported by the servers in those
data centers will be in the magnitude of tens or hundreds of thousands.
For ease of resource management (computing, power, etc), it is necessary
to have the flexibility of loading virtual hosts to any physical servers
in the resource pool and being able to move them to different physical
servers. Moving virtual machines while maintaining MAC-VLAN & IP
addresses among servers are much easier if those servers to be on the
same subnet.  Therefore, service provider data centers need to have
highly scalable addresses in one subnet. 

*         Traditional VPN (L3VPN or L2VPN) connects multiple customer
routers in multiple locations into one secure private network. The
customer routers as well as service provider VPNs often have private IP
address scheme in IPv4.   Address conflicts can occur when private IP
addresses are not resolved correctly within a data center when multiple
network accessing the same data center.  Proper address resolution and
traffic separation among different customer VPN within one data center
is very important to service providers and to the existing enterprise
customers. 

Best regrads,

Ning So

Network Evolution Planning

Verizon, Inc.

(office) 972-729-7905

(Cell) 972-955-0914