Subject: [art] Authentication like relation types

From: Evert Pot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 14:30:11 -0400

Dear group,

An extremely common feature in many web applications are links to pages
for login, logout and user registration.
I've ran into several situations where I wish there was a standard 'rel'
for finding the resource that describes the currently authenticated user
/ principal.

I'm curious if there are people in this group that have any thoughts
about this, or maybe this WG would even be interested in adopting this
proposal:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pot-authentication-link-00

Evert

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 21:47:19 -0400

Evert Pot <[email-masked]> writes:
> An extremely common feature in many web applications are links to
> pages for login, logout and user registration.  I've ran into several
> situations where I wish there was a standard 'rel' for finding the
> resource that describes the currently authenticated user / principal.

It's an interesting idea.  I think you mean to define new "rel" values
for HTML <link> elements, and the equivalent Link headers in HTTP.  It
looks like the "rel" values are maintained by W3C and the link to the
HTML 5 standard values is
https://www.w3.org/TR/html50/links.html#linkTypes

But if that's right, W3C is the place to advocate for this extension.

Dale

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 11:14:29 +0200

> But if that's right, W3C is the place to advocate for this extension.

The HTTP (web) link relations are defined in the IETF, see
<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc8288.html>, with registry
instructions at <https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc8288.html#procedure>.

Best regards, Julian