Subject: [art] Protocol Action: 'URI Design and Ownership' to Best Current Practice (draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 11:41:30 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'URI Design and Ownership'
  (draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-03.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Adam Roach.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis/

Technical Summary

   This document provides guidance on the specification of URI
   substructure in standards.

Working Group Summary

  This document is an AD-sponsored update to the existing BCP 190, based on
  feedback from the IETF community. During the processing of
  draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis, the TRANS working group highlighted certain
  difficulties caused by one specific restriction that BCP 190 has
  historically imposed on the use of URL paths in standard protocols. After
  face-to-face discussion with the HTTPBIS working group in Montreal, and
  subsequent conversations on the ART-area mailing list, a clear consensus
  emerged to relax specific provisions of BCP 190 in ways that do not cause
  substantial damage to the URL namespace owners' ability to manage such
  namespaces.

Document Quality

  The document received significant feedback and support during its
  development. While there was some distress expressed over the
  basic concept of BCPs that restrict protocol development in any
  way -- and implicitly calling for a full deprecation of BCP 190
  and similar documents -- no objections were raised to the
  specific relaxations represented by this new version.

Personnel

  Martin Thomson is the document shepherd.
  Adam Roach is the responsible AD.