Subject: [art] [Linkset I-D] Array of linksets?

From: Phil Archer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 15:07:06 +0000

Dear all,

My colleagues and I at GS1 have been looking carefully at Dret and
HvdSompel's work on Linksets [1]. We are very excited to see this work
making progress and are very likely to implement and normatively
reference it. We made an informative reference to an earlier version in
our GS1 Digital Link standard [2] which is the basis for a future state
where a barcode scan links to multiple sources of related information.
Sections 7.5 and 7.7.4 of that standard talk specifically about
providing those links as HTTP Link headers and as JSON objects - hence
our interest in this I-D.

As a quick orientation, try this

curl -I id.gs1.org/01/9506000134352

in a terminal (9506000134352 is the GTIN - the kind of string of
integers you typically see in a GS1 barcode on an item).

GET that same resource with ?linkType=all for the JSON representation
and an HTML rendering of it. That JSON does *not* follow the Linkset I-D
but we expect it to soon.

But... you knew there was a but coming, right?

Consider the service we're setting up.

You scan a code on an item and receive links to related resources.

Who provided those links?

Well, you might have got them from a GS1 resolver so you might think
they came from  GS1. Nope. They came from the brand owner. And that's a
critical point - we want to provide provenance information for who
provided the link to the nutritional facts about 9506000134352, or its
instruction manual, or its HAZMAT info etc. In the medical sphere it
*really* matters what info you're pointing to. Hence we're looking at
enabling brand owners to digitally sign those linksets too.

So far so good - the I-D allows what one might consider to be metadata
to a linkset.

There are two scenarios where that's not enough:
- where more than one person provides links (makes assertions about) an
item;
- where a GS1 resolver provides bulk downloads of all available links
(yes, we plan to do that ;-) )

In those cases, we need to be able to put multiple linksets in a single
JSON document.

For that reason, section 4.2.1 is a bit of a problem: "A set of links
MUST be represented as a JSON object which MUST have "linkset" as its
sole member."

Would it be possible to make this an array of linksets?

WDYT?

Phil

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilde-linkset-06
[2] https://www.gs1.org/docs/Digital-Link/GS1_Digital_link_Standard_i1.1.pdf

--
Phil Archer
Director, Web Solutions, GS1
https://www.gs1.org

Meet GS1 Digital Link Developers at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gs1-digital-link-developers

https://philarcher.org
+44 (0)7887 767755
@philarcher1
Skype: philarcher
A word on abbreviations I sometimes use in email:
https://philarcher.org/diary/2019/emailabbreviations/

CONFIDENTIALITY / DISCLAIMER: The contents of this e-mail are  confidential and are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance from GS1 (registered in Belgium). 
If you are not the addressee, or if this has been copied or sent to you in error, you must not use data herein for any purpose, you must delete it, and should inform the sender. 
GS1 disclaims liability for accuracy or completeness, and opinions expressed are those of the author alone. 
GS1 may monitor communications. 
Third party rights acknowledged. 
(c) 2020.

---

From: Herbert Van de Sompel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 09:26:31 +0200

hi Phil,

Thanks a lot for your mail and your support for the "linkset" spec. That's
super!

Dret is currently enjoying a vacation but we are scheduling a time, next
week, to discuss both points (linkset array, linktype) that you brought up.
We'll be back with a response asap.

Cheers

Herbert

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 5:11 PM Phil Archer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [2]
> https://www.gs1.org/docs/Digital-Link/GS1_Digital_link_Standard_i1.1.pdf
>
>
> --
> Phil Archer
> CONFIDENTIALITY / DISCLAIMER: The contents of this e-mail are
> confidential and are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or
> acceptance from GS1 (registered in Belgium).
> If you are not the addressee, or if this has been copied or sent to you in
> error, you must not use data herein for any purpose, you must delete it,
> and should inform the sender.
> _______________________________________________
> art mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/art
>

-- 
==================
Herbert Van de Sompel
Chief Innovation Officer
DANS
[email-masked]
+31 6 22 83 93 15
https://hvdsomp.info
https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0715-6126