Subject: [asrg-announce] New ASRG Charter

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:54:32 -0500

The ASRG has been re-chartered by the IRTF with a new charter. The new 
charter can be found at:

http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html

Copy of the main text appears below.

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Co-Chair, ASRG

----------------------------------
Problematic e-mail, informally called spam, has increased on the 
Internet markedly in recent years, to a point where it threatens to make 
e-mail unusable. The Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) investigates tools 
and techniques to mitigate the sending and effects of spam. Its focus is 
on approaches that can be defined, deployed and used in the near term, 
by addressing underlying characteristics of spam.

Work areas include new or improved anti-spam tools and techniques, 
administrative tools and techniques, evaluation frameworks and 
measurement, and approaches that involve changes to the existing 
applications and protocols. As work areas are defined, the chairs will 
convene subgroups to work on them.

o Anti-spam tools and techniques include those to prevent spam from 
being sent, to prevent spam from being received, to distinguish spam 
from legitimate mail, to facilitate management responses to spam 
activity, and to ensure that legitimate mail is delivered in the 
presence of other anti-spam measures.

o Administrative tools and techniques include those to share information 
among server and network operators about filters and other anti-spam 
tools, those to help network managers identify and deal with sources of 
spam on their networks, and codification of best current practices in 
spam management.

o Evaluation frameworks and measurement determine how well a tool or 
technique accomplishes its stated goal, and the costs of the tool or 
technique to both those who deploy it and others who may be affected by 
it. It may also be useful to create taxonomies of existing techniques to 
predict the effectiveness of new or modified techniques.

One function of the ASRG is to look at well-specified problems that can 
be addressed by technical solutions. When formulated, with development 
of prototypes of the associated technology, these problem statements can 
then serve as a starting point for standardization efforts within the 
IETF. ASRG will choose topics likely to lead to usable results, and to 
avoid those that duplicate other efforts or that have proven 
unproductive in the past.

ASRG will, insofar as possible, coordinate with industry groups to 
develop tools and techniques that both are technically sound and have 
sufficient industry interest to be widely deployed. Although the group's 
goals are technical, it may consider tools and techniques to aid the 
implementation of legal and other non-technical anti-spam measures.
----------------------------------

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"All that is gold does not glitter" (LOTR)
-------

_______________________________________________
asrg-announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg-announce