Subject: 7. Best Practices (was RE: [Asrg] Trustic anti-spam system closes down because it doesn 't work)

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:08:22 -0400

At 09:41 AM 8/6/2003, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>............
>
> > In May, your argument for the demise of DNSBLs was that the root
> > servers could be attacked because someone could joe them and get them
> > listed on a DNSBL, now it's censorship of the political lists.
> > Neither have any basis in reality.
>
>No the argument was that blacklist proceedures are so sloppy that many have
>blacklisted IP addresses that could not possibly be spam addresses.
>
>If you know how to send email FROM a multicast address I would love to hear
>it.

Policies and procedures should be addressed within the framework of the 
ASRG in the Best Practices area. Anyone who wants to participate in writing 
them is more than welcome. Also, perhaps we need a separate BCP for 
anti-spam tool operators as a separate item on the research agenda.

>Perhaps you could try responding to the arguments I made rather than putting
>out marketting spin and FUD.

Come down people, no reason to get all cooked up :) While there are 
problems with DNSBLs, they can be safely addressed within the context of 
the ASRG, in the BCP area. But the bottom line is, that the mail 
administrators are the ones that choose which DNSBLs to rely on, and part 
of the fault is with them as well.

Yakov 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg