Subject: [Asrg] 2. the analysis and characterization work: great article on following the spam money

From: "Peter Kay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:08:50 -1000

http://www.msnbc.com/news/940490.asp
 
probably the best article I've read to-date that tells lays out the spam
business model. in short: it starts with a spammer who then sells a lead
to N layers of resellers and finally the lead lands, guess where: big
companies that we all know, who in and of themselves probably don't know
they are supporting spamming.
 
excellent writeup. don't miss it.

Paul:  I think it would be valuable in the understanding phase,
possiblly section 2, to have a section linking to various articles that
talk about the economics of spam. Ultimately this is the root cause of
the entire spam problem and I don't think an R&D effort will be complete
without this rudimentary information. 

Peter Kay, President
Web: www.titankey.com
<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Application%20Data/
Microsoft/Signatures/www.titankey.com> 
>> The only technology that stops spam BEFORE it's even sent

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:08:59 -0400

Two interesting points that are raised by this article. First of all, the 
companies benefiting from spam are large US companies that are liable to 
legal measures. Second, the article has mentioned an importance of having 
an audit trail for each lead. Within the consent framework if the language 
for consent is standardized and the associated protocols are standards too, 
it would be very easy to write a program for any of these large companies 
to request the audit trail of a specific lead in the consent language 
format, and then analyze it by a computer. As of now, these companies have 
to analyze audit trails by hand and no one wants to spend extra money doing 
so unless compelled by law. If a computerized way to do so is available, 
then it would make things much easier.

Yakov

At 05:08 PM 8/9/2003, Peter Kay wrote:
>
><http://www.msnbc.com/news/940490.asp>http://www.msnbc.com/news/940490.asp
>
>Paul:  I think it would be valuable in the understanding phase, possiblly 
>section 2, to have a section linking to various articles that talk about 
>the economics of spam. Ultimately this is the root cause of the entire 
>spam problem and I don't think an R&D effort will be complete without this 
>rudimentary information.
>
>Peter Kay, President
>Web: 
><file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Signatures/www.titankey.com>www.titankey.com

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg