Subject: RE: [Asrg] RE: 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Titan Key re duces spam attacks

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:40:46 -0400

Hello All Again,

 I apologize for my absence, I have unfortunately been very understaffed
lately and have been very busy with various projects.
 I have approximately 1/4 - 1/2 billion emails worth of data of varying
specifics and depth.
 Please contact me directly: [email-masked] if you are working on
this aspect and we can work out the specifics.
 Currently I block about 3/4 million messages a day.

Regards,
Damon Sauer

-----Original Message-----
From: Yakov Shafranovich [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 4:48 AM
To: Scott Nelson; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Asrg] RE: 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Titan Key
reduces spam attacks

At 04:30 AM 8/10/2003, Scott Nelson wrote:
>At 11:00 PM 8/9/03 -0400, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
> >At 09:50 PM 8/9/2003, Terry Sullivan wrote:
> >>On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:37:54 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> >>
> >...............
> >This may also apply to another proposal - Greylisting which rejects 
> >emails with a 445 response and forces the spammers to redeliver.
> >
>
>(quibble: greylisting uses a 451 response, not 445.)

Sorry, my mistake - I got the error codes wrong. Mea Culpa.

>Right now, I'm conducting a study of greylisting to try and determine 
>(or at least gather /some/ evidence of) it's effect on the volume of 
>spam. ..................

What kind of spam volumes are you working with?

Yakov  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:19:25 -0400

Does anyone present would like to assist in the analysis work? Aside from 
this data graciously being offered, we have access to many other source of 
spam data from Brightmail, Postini, and such. Any help with analyzing it 
would help greatly!

---

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 03:55:58 +0200

At 9:19 PM -0400 2003/08/12, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

>  Does anyone present would like to assist in the analysis work? Aside
>  from this data graciously being offered, we have access to many other
>  source of spam data from Brightmail, Postini, and such. Any help with
>  analyzing it would help greatly!

	Can you give us any guidelines as to how we might be able to help 
analyze this data?

-- 
Brad Knowles, <[email-masked]>

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
     -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

GCS/IT d+(-) s:+(++)>: a C++(+++)$ UMBSHI++++$ P+>++ L+ !E-(---) W+++(--) N+
!w--- O- M++ V PS++(+++) PE- Y+(++) PGP>+++ t+(+++) 5++(+++) X++(+++) R+(+++)
tv+(+++) b+(++++) DI+(++++) D+(++) G+(++++) e++>++++ h--- r---(+++)* z(+++)

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:16:46 -0400

>         Can you give us any guidelines as to how we might be able to help 

First of all take a look at the following link which lists various 
characteristics to look out for:

http://www.irtf.org/asrg/spam_characterization.htm

Second, I believe Peter Key has been doing some research in this area as 
well. Third, we need someone to be in charge of the analysis work, 
coordinating various research in that area. Fourth, there is a ton of data 
in the mailing list archive at:

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/maillist.html

Summary of discussions at:

http://www.elan.net/~william/asrg/index.htm

You can also use gmane.org to search the list archive:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.asrg

---

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:12:34 +0200

At 10:16 PM -0400 2003/08/12, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

>>          Can you give us any guidelines as to how we might be able
>>  to help analyze this data?
>

	I've seen that before.  While it is a list of interesting 
characteristics that tend to be common with spam, it has not been 
clear to me how this relates to the overall effort.

>  Second, I believe Peter Key has been doing some research in this
>  area as well.

	I'll try to get in touch with him.

>                Third, we need someone to be in charge of the
>  analysis work, coordinating various research in that area.

	In charge?  In what way?  Does this person need to be deeply 
knowledgeable in statistics and applying statistical methods to the 
analysis, or would that work be done by someone else?

>  Fourth, there is a ton of data in the mailing list archive at:
>

	I'll check these out and see if I can find anything that looks to 
me to be relevant to this topic.

	Thanks!

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:43:46 -0400

At 05:12 AM 8/13/2003, Brad Knowles wrote:
> characteristics that tend to be common with spam, it has not been clear 
> to me how this relates to the overall effort.

  I think we were planning on looking at these specific characteristics 
when analyzing spam data. Paul Judge (the chair) was working on that, you 
can contact him for more information.

>.....

The group is gigantic and there are eight major areas of research. We would 
like to see each of those eight areas (and possibly some of the large 
sub-areas) to be headed by someone. Heading an area would imply 
coordinating efforts in that area, getting people to volunteer, etc. In the 
analysis area specifically it would not hurt to know statistics, but I 
think that it is not necessary. If you are willing to manage that area, you 
can get someone to help who does know statistics.

Yakov