Subject: RE: [Asrg] RE: 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Titan Key re duces spam attacks

From: "Peter Kay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:59:07 -1000

> From: Brad Knowles [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> 
> 	Do you have any idea what kind of work is required as a 
> result of 
> "owning" an e-mail address of this sort?
> 

We'll start w/ Tom's plan. Each volunteer "owns" a given email address.
Each email address will have certain profile. The owner (or should we be
cute and say "adopter") uses that email per the profile outlined for
that specific email. 

First step, we publish all the emails on enough Web sites to get them
into spammer databases. 

Second step, we view/open/subscribe the spam that starts coming into
these emails

=== end result here is that we should have successfully seeded these
emails with reasonable spam quantities

Third step, each adopter begins attempting to cut down spam using their
profile's pre-assigned techniques.

Fourth step. Project ends and data is analyzed

So, what this means specifically for each volunteer is that they will
have to:

- Accept/download email
- Go through that email in such a way that any html tags are exposed to
spammers, letting them know this is a real address
- Attempting to unsubscribe to the spam based on the volunteer profile

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:16:00 +0200

>  emails with reasonable spam quantities

	Which also implies that no other anti-spam methods are employed 
for those addresses, right?  No black lists, no reverse DNS checks, 
no SpamAssassin, nothing.

	Or have I missed something?

>  spammers, letting them know this is a real address

	Could you clarify what you mean by "exposed"?  Do you mean that 
we click on any URL provided in the message?  Are we required to run 
a particular MUA that would automatically try to display the message 
as a web page (e.g., Outlook Express)?

	How would mail for this account be handled?  An alias to an 
existing account, or a separate mailbox that is physically distinct?

-- 
Brad Knowles, <[email-masked]>

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
     -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

GCS/IT d+(-) s:+(++)>: a C++(+++)$ UMBSHI++++$ P+>++ L+ !E-(---) W+++(--) N+
!w--- O- M++ V PS++(+++) PE- Y+(++) PGP>+++ t+(+++) 5++(+++) X++(+++) R+(+++)
tv+(+++) b+(++++) DI+(++++) D+(++) G+(++++) e++>++++ h--- r---(+++)* z(+++)