Subject: Re: 7. BCP - Default Settings (was Re: [Asrg] 0. - General - Consent and SoBig)

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:25:32 -0400

At 05:09 PM 8/24/2003, Brad Knowles wrote:
>At 3:09 PM -0400 2003/08/24, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
>
>  What I am asking is for someone to take charge of this area and start
>>  working on some documents. And even if you do not have the time to
>>  collaborate, you can give some time to review the documents and
>>  comments on them, with others who have ample more time to actually
>>  write them.
>
>         I can certainly participate on a team of reviewers and editors.
>
>         I would also be willing to coordinate this effort, until/unless 
> someone more qualified steps forward, or someone objects.

Ok, for starters:
1. We need to evaluate which areas require BCPs. In the research agenda 
(http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_research_agenda.htm) three items are listed:
7.a. End-users
7.b. Mail administrators.
7.c. Mass Mailers

At least one additional one is required for DNSRBLs which Chris Lewis is 
working on. We also need to know which other areas would benefit from BCPs.
2. Three relevant existing RFCs are listed on the bottom of the documents 
page (http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_documents.htm). We need to review them 
whether updating is needing. Contacting the author might help.
3. Volunteers are needed.
4. We need to review existing BCPs from other sources such as Carrot and 
Stick, SpamCon, etc.
5. Someone needs to plow throw the mailing list archive for BCP suggestions 
(use gmane.org).
6. A process needs to be setup to manage the area.

Yakov

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:41:37 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:25:32PM -0400, Yakov Shafranovich wrote

> 7.b. Mail administrators.

  7.d. Authors/publishers of MUAs, MTAs, etc.
       It would've been nice if Netscape and Microsoft never made HTML
       email the default.  AOL is another bad example.  I don't know if
       it's even possible to send plain-text email with their mailer.

> At least one additional one is required for DNSRBLs which Chris
> Lewis is working on.

  I'm willing to volunteer for that.  I'm a heavy user of DNSbls for
protecting my inbox, so I've run into the good and bad points head on.
Should I contact him directly ?

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]>
Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did

---

From: John Kodis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:05:54 -0400

>        it's even possible to send plain-text email with their mailer.

There's an informal "Good Netkeeping Seal of Approval" program that
evaluates usenet/nntp/news clients against a published set of best
practice guidelines.  This or an analagous program for MUAs might
serve as a good starting point for this effort.

-- 
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
[email-masked]                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
Phone: 301-286-7376                                     Fax: 301-286-1771