Subject: [Asrg] 2. Spam Analysis - Vectors

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:04:36 -0400

There is an interesting story from Reuters 
(http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3315668) 
about the possible motive behind Sobig.F virus - spam. Here are some quotes:

----------snip---------
Sobig.F drops software onto infected Windows computers that open them to be 
used later for distributing Internet spam -- unwanted e-mails and product 
promotions, experts said. It also represents a new trend in converging 
e-mail spamming and virus software writing, they said.

"We believe (Sobig.F) has been written by a spammer or spammers" looking 
for ways to get past spam filters, said Mikko Hypponen, manager of 
anti-virus research for Finnish security firm F-Secure. "For once, we have 
a clear motive for a virus -- money."
----------snip---------

This raises the issue of infected computers used for spam and how to deal 
with them once again. 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Raymond S Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:17:46 -0400

> This raises the issue of infected computers used for spam and how to deal

DRIP? http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brand-drip-01.txt

Raymond S Brand