Subject: Re: [Asrg] 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Titan Key reduces spam attac

From: "John Fenley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:14:25 -0600

From: "Peter Kay" <[email-masked]>

>>-----Original Message-----
> >From: Elric Pedder [mailto:[email-masked]]
>>
> >Given all that, I also fail to see how such responses would >actually 
>reduce the spam volume.  Perhaps when we have more >data this will become 
>clearer.
>>
>>
>
>It's the "more data" where this whole group falls on its face. There's
>so many of us that are so quick to throw in our $0.02, but oh-so-slow to
>come forward with some real effort. As you probably know, we've had an
>open offer to work with others that want to assist w/ this "more data"
>part, and the list has been un-surprisingly quiet in those regards.
>
>I offered to wager $1 with one of the members off-list that no one would
>step forward. That member wisely did not accept my wager.  :(

Since the 12th of July I have been tracking my spam volumes at a poisoned 
account.
on the 20th I decided to start unsubscribing from the mail I received.
Since the 25th I have unsubscribed from every piece of mail that I could.

I have seen spam volumes decrease from 20-30 per day to 10-15 per day over 
the course of 2 weeks.
I see this as relevant, but its impact on long term volumes is still to be 
determined.
I believe piece by piece unsubscribe should be evaluated as one type of spam 
control method evaluated in the proposed simultaneous and long term 
comparison of spam control systems.

Attached is my data short term though it is.

John Fenley

_________________________________________________________________
Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:35:15 -0400

At 01:14 AM 8/7/2003, John Fenley wrote:
>> reduce the spam volume.  Perhaps when we have more >data this will 
>> become clearer.
>>>
>>
>I believe piece by piece unsubscribe should be evaluated as one type of 
>spam control method evaluated in the proposed simultaneous and long term 

I started doing this as well today to a poisoned account and we'll see what 
happens. HOWEVER, I would like to suggest that someone organizes or 
coordinates a large-scale study of "unsubscribes", so we can settle this issue.

Yakov 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg