Subject: RE: [Asrg] 2.a Spam Measurements: data available on Directory Ha rvesting Attacks (DHAs)

From: Paul Judge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:53:11 -0400

> Someone mentioned this before, do a search on gmane.org on the list 
> archive. Also, I believe that Brightmail, Postini, 
> SpamArchive and others 
> offered data if needed on spam, and we should ask them. Do we 
> have a liason 
> relationship setup with those entities?

The thing to understand here is that there are different types of
measurements that can be done. Some focus on characterizing the current
problem; others focus on evaluating certain solutions. 

In spam characterization, there are four categories: 1) sending, 2) source,
3) message, and 4) spam attack characteristics. The above thread about DHAs
is part of spam attack characteristics. This category requires more protocol
level data therefore requires  spamtrap data while the rest of the
categories can be explored with data from spam messages. SpamArchive
provides spam messages and that data is readily available for download. The
need now is for persons with spamtraps that are willing to collect certain
data and/or run certain tools to analyze data. Also, a volunteer is needed
to lead this effort and create the tools and coordinate the volunteers.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg