Subject: RE: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs - Article

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:23:59 -0400

At 12:15 PM 8/14/2003, Jason Steiner wrote:
>"Yakov Shafranovich" <[email-masked]>
> >
> > I am not suggesting that a consent system should use ALL available
> > sources, just more then one. Two DNSRBLs or a DNSRBL combined
> > with a filter might be better than relying on SPEWS.org or some other
> > DNSRBL as a sole source of information. Decisions on spam should
> > not be based on a single source alone.
>
>Why? If that single source is reliable and does a good job of implementing
>the policies I choose for my mail servers (eg. "We don't want mail from
>dialups here.") , what is the point of incurring the extra load of querying
>more than one, especially if the second is going to be much more resource
>intensive? (eg. A content filter behind a DNSBL.)

Assuming that your single source is reliable. Many "single" sources are 
not. I guess I would have to agree with you that using an single reliable 
source is good.

The bottom line in all of this would be that the final decision be left to 
the administrators and end-users to pick and choose the tools they want. 
All we have to do is to make it easier for those tools to interoperate.

Yakov  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Chris Lewis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:55:12 -0400

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

> The bottom line in all of this would be that the final decision be left 
> to the administrators and end-users to pick and choose the tools they 
> want. All we have to do is to make it easier for those tools to 
> interoperate.

I'm not nearly as worried about interoperability, as much as being able 
to help administrators make _informed_ choices.

Certainly, in the case of DNSBLs, interoperability is _not_ a problem in 
practise - at a technical level, the interfaces are very simple, and the 
DNSBLs are highly consistent now.