Subject: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNSRBL - Osirusoft shut down

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:35:53 -0400

According to the several messages 
(http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg12818.html) and 
(http://slashdot.org/articles/03/08/27/0214238.shtml?tid=111&tid=126), the 
Osirusoft blacklists have been shutdown, and are currently rejecting email 
from all incoming addresses.

This has implications for DNSRBLs in general including the BCP area - how 
to account for a DNSRBL shutting down or being unreachable due a DDOS attack.

Yakov

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Bill Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:43:56 -0400

At 11:35 PM -0400 8/26/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
>(http://slashdot.org/articles/03/08/27/0214238.shtml?tid=111&tid=126), 
>the Osirusoft blacklists have been shutdown, and are currently 
>rejecting email from all incoming addresses.
>
>This has implications for DNSRBLs in general including the BCP area 
>- how to account for a DNSRBL shutting down or being unreachable due 
>a DDOS attack.

The only implication I see is that people managing mail systems 
should be a little more careful about whose DNSBL's they trust. There 
have been issues of technical competence, transparency, and 
trustworthiness raised regarding Joe Jared's operation of that DNSBL 
essentially since day one, and what he did yesterday was a 
sociopathic act by Joe Jared, not the direct result of any attack on 
his systems. The decreasing availability and currency of his 
blacklist has been documented in public over the past few weeks, but 
it remained at least occasionally available at least through Monday 
and was apparently available enough yesterday to allow many sites to 
use it as a basis to reject perfectly legitimate mail in large volume.

Simply put: a DNSBL doesn't suddenly list all of 0.0.0.0/0 by 
accident or because of some attack on its source, it requires an 
intentional act of the person controlling the list. Using a list 
whose operator is prone to such fits of pique is not a good idea.

-- 
Bill Cole                                  
[email-masked]

---

From: david nicol <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Aug 2003 21:58:28 -0500

> whose operator is prone to such fits of pique is not a good idea.

Maybe he's trying to say that valid e-mail should now be arriving by
ipv6?