Subject: [Asrg] Trustic anti-spam system closes down because it doesn't work

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:33:08 -0400

from: http://www.trustic.com :
"We have determined that the system as it currently is designed will not
achieve the level of accuracy that we require, and an inaccurate system
is worse than no system."

A brief explanation of what they were trying to accomplish follows. This
was taken from their web site:

"Trustic is a community based block list. This differs from a
traditional DNS block list, which reflects the opinions only of a small
group of individuals. Trustic's goal is to produce an accurate and
complete list of servers considered untrusted by the community. 

"Trust in a server is determined by aggregating positive and negative
recommendations submitted by Trustic members. A positive recommendation
indicates trust in a server, a negative recommendation is the opposite.
A server is considered untrusted if it is one of the following: 

   * Has a practice of allowing the sending of Unsolicited Bulk Email
(U.B.E.) 
   * Configured as an open relay or proxy 
   * Does not have a static IP address 

"Positive and negative recommendations are aggregated using an algorithm
called a trust network. The algorithm looks at the recommendations each
member has submitted and, based on how these recommendations compare to
the recommendations other members have submitted, assigns a trust value
to the member and her recommendations. The more trust a member has, the
more influence their recommendations have in determining whether servers
are considered trusted. 

See http://www.trustic.com/help/ for more information while it is still
available.

Slashdot discussions of trustic can be found at:
4-Aug-2003: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/04/2018223 
26-July-2003:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/26/2019205&tid=111

		bob wyman

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:32:38 -0400

At 11:33 AM 8/5/2003, Bob Wyman wrote:
>.....

Is there detailed information on why it failed?