Subject: spammer economics; was: RE: [Asrg] hiring challenge responders

From: "Bob Atkinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:50:54 -0700

It's good to be wary, but from the baker's dozen or so of spammer
interviews I've recently seen that have useful figures in them there's a
surprising amount of consistency. Certainly enough to be able to glean
useful ballparks of, e.g., click-through or conversion rates and profit
per sale.

Indeed, if anything I suspect that spammers tend to brag here (but not
much) more than they tend to dissemble in the other direction, leading
to the fact that the numbers they let drop can be considered
conservative in what it takes to make them unprofitable.

The Iraqi playing card article, btw, can (or could) be found at any of
the following (be aware though that there's some errors in the
arithmetic on the part of the reporter):

http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-list/2003-June/046051.html
	http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/09/technology/09CARD.html
	http://www.iht.com/articles/99019.html
	http://www.naplesnews.com/03/06/business/d855876a.htm

(Ya gotta love Google :-)

	Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: ... Barry Shein
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 2:44 PM

..

I just have a little trouble believing what a marketeer tells a news
reporter about how great business is, particularly when they figure
they might have an interest.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg