Subject: [Asrg] 0. General - Virus Alert

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:07:39 -0400

Dear Group Members,

A new virus called SOBIG.F has been spreading by email over the last few 
days. Some group members reported receiving the virus at the email 
addresses used only for ASRG activity, so it seems that some of the list 
members have been infected. PLEASE SCAN YOUR COMPUTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, 
WITH THE LATEST VERSION OF AN ANTI-VIRUS.

The following information has been taken from the Internet Storm Center's 
website (http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-20):

---------snip-------
Sobig F

Despite the best efforts of system admins world wide, users are still 
clicking on e-mail attachments. We strongly recommend attachment stripping 
on mail gateways. Please note, that the 'From' address is spoofed. Do not 
send auto replies to senders, as this will just worsen the email flood 
caused by Sobig F. As other Sobig variants, this one includes the ability 
to update the worm remotely, backdoors and a full set of other evilness.
---------snip------- 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 02:20:25 +0200

At 12:07 PM -0400 2003/08/21, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

>  A new virus called SOBIG.F has been spreading by email over the last
>  few days.

	Indeed.  This is old news.

	Last night, I was fighting this stuff by the thousands.  The 
attack seems to be over now.  At least, until next Monday rolls 
around and a lot of people return from vacation.  And then there are 
all the students who will be coming back to Campus in September, and 
most of them will probably have unpatched machines.

-- 
Brad Knowles, <[email-masked]>

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
     -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

GCS/IT d+(-) s:+(++)>: a C++(+++)$ UMBSHI++++$ P+>++ L+ !E-(---) W+++(--) N+
!w--- O- M++ V PS++(+++) PE- Y+(++) PGP>+++ t+(+++) 5++(+++) X++(+++) R+(+++)
tv+(+++) b+(++++) DI+(++++) D+(++) G+(++++) e++>++++ h--- r---(+++)* z(+++)