Subject: [Asrg] (no subject)

From: "Kurt Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:19:11 -0200

Bill Cole wrote:

>>Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
>
>>According to the several messages 
>>(http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg12818.html)
...........
>>This has implications for DNSRBLs in general including the BCP area - how 
>>to account for a DNSRBL shutting down or being unreachable due a DDOS 
>>attack.
>
>The only implication I see is that people managing mail systems should be a 
>little more careful about whose DNSBL's they trust.
>
>There have been issues of technical competence, transparency, and 
>trustworthiness raised
.........
>Simply put: a DNSBL doesn't suddenly list all of 0.0.0.0/0 by accident or 
>because of some attack on its source, it requires an intentional act of the 
>person controlling the list. Using a list whose
>operator is prone to such fits of pique is not a good idea.

It do points to that lists need to be operated in a resilient way, that we 
might need back-up's locally. We might also consider if it isn't time to get 
actors as FTC need to oversee and maybe back-up this types of lists or that 
the user have a responsability of maintaining its own honeypot/internal 
report mboxes, catching spam data, directed to the individual organisation, 
maintaining it's own list.

Kurt Magnusson

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg