Subject: RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - deprecate all list/bulk mailing and cha nge to RSS

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:50:36 -0800

> My point was simply that if RSS cannot be extended to support 
> a set of 
> standard marketing features, many legitimate email publishers are not 
> going to migrate to it because it won't meet their 
> communication needs. 
> There is also the larger order problem that RSS faces as a pull 
> technology: it does't meet the needs of organizations who 
> rely on push 
> email to alert supporters about urgent issues.

I am not sure about that, I am pretty sure that there is an RSS feed on the
Dean campaign public blog. But the wider point about the need to mix push
with pull is surely right.

My view of pull is that I want to be able to subscribe to information feeds
and have my wireless gizmo opportunistically grab information onto it. So I
am wandering arround and my handheld is sucking bits from whatever network
is available and advertises itself as being public access. (Anyone want to
propose a SID naming convention for 802.11b?).

My use of that material would be browsing rather than surfing. In the early
days of the Web it was NOT an interactive resource, there was not a lot of
content. The browsing metaphor was appropriate because the Web was like a
book that you read in a random order and at haphazard times. The metaphor
changed to surfing when the interactive stuff started.

I would like to be able to connect to CNET, Wired, Salon, Buzzflash, and
similar news format sites and have the information available for me to read
whenever I want, even when I am not connected (a plane with no Internet
connectivity). This would clearly not be appropriate for slashdot, or a lot
of other sites.

I would also like to be able to connect to my bank accounts as a personal
RSS feed, also any businesses I have accounts with. I want Microsoft Money
to automatically keep me in sync. Email does not seem to be working for
invoicing - yet.

Sure there are some tweaks the protocol could benefit from, who do we need
to get involved to find out what those tweaks are? What forum could we useto
drive development of the RSS protocol?

		Phill

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg