Subject: [Asrg] 7. BCP - ISPs - News Article

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:16:43 -0500

An interesting article
(http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8040330%255E421,00.html):

--------snip-----
"AUSTRALIA'S largest internet service provider Telstra BigPond will
monitor its customers' e-mails and suspend the accounts of users
suspected of sending spam, viruses or denial-of-service attacks under
new rules to be introduced later this month.
	
Under changes to its Acceptable Use Policy, BigPond company will
investigate cable and ADSL Internet customers sending more than 20
e-mails in a 10-minute period.

Customers sending more e-mails than the prescribed limit may be
suspected of sending unsolicited e-mail, known as spam, and BigPond
management "may suspend the (user's) account while the customer is
contacted".

"But Internet experts yesterday criticised BigPond's policy changes and
warned they could unfairly cause problems for legitimate e-mail users
trying to contact social groups and family members."
"
--------snip-----

Also mentioned on SlashDot
(http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/03/0044202).

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on 
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg