Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals: LMTP proposals]]

From: Fridrik Skulason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:59:29 +0000

> It then becomes a bigger incentive on the ISPs to start detecting and 
> blocking malicious machines.

Consider that ISPs have only shown limited willingness to do so in the
past - for example when the compromised systems have been used to send
out worms, instead of spam. 

It might help if the ISPs were legally required to block compromised
machines, but whether that is practical or feasible is a different
issue.

-- 
Fridrik Skulason   Frisk Software International   phone: +354-540-7400
Author of F-PROT   E-mail: [email-masked]       fax:   +354-540-7401

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 17:49:42 -0500

> machines, but whether that is practical or feasible is a different

Would then having a standard for marking IPs in rDNS space as non-MTA 
basically let ISPs off the hook? They will claim that publishing IP 
records should be enough and let the others do the blocking, instead of 
doing it themselves?

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"I ate your Web page. / Forgive me. It was juicy / And tart on my 
tongue." (MIT's 404 Message)
-------