Subject: RE: [Asrg] 2 Questions: History of "Challenge-Response" SPAM filter and Info re. Julian Byrne

From: "Gilman Research Services" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:34:42 -0500

Hello Richard,

Thank you for forwarding the message on.  I appreciate any additional
information you come across.

Thanks again,

Norm Gilman
Gilman Research Services, LLC
42 W. 24th Street
New York, NY 10010
Office:   212-675-9655
Fax:      212-647-7175
Cell:     347-804-8790
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Welty [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 9:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 2 Questions: History of "Challenge-Response" SPAM
filter and Info re. Julian Byrne

i have forwarded your note to a group of people who were there
at the time and who will i am certain have a lot to tell you about
things back then.

challenge-response techniques were being developed extensively
in the 1994-1996 time frame, and in some cases for other types
of network abuse. for example, in late 1996/early 1997 the majordomo
mailing list manager introduced "confirmation" of subscriptions, a
variant on challenge-response, in order to bring an end to the
practice of "list bombing".

there is definitely prior art back into 1996 and possibily back into
1995 or even earlier; the folks to whom i forwarded your email
have a good handle on all this history.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         [email-masked]
Averill Park Networking                                         518-573-7592
    Java, PHP, PostgreSQL, Unix, Linux, IP Network Engineering, Security

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: rm <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 2003 16:07:40 -0600

> have a good handle on all this history.

We'd done a patent search regarding an email invention we developed a 
couple of years ago.  The earliest "challenge response" patent that we 
turned up was US 6,199,102B1 by Christopher Alan Cobb, filed August 26,
1997.

If you'd like any other particulars, I'd be happy to address them
"off list" if you like.

good luck

regis,
-- 
rm <[email-masked]>