Subject: [Asrg] 0. General - Legal - CAN-SPAM effects

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:06:28 -0500

I got a bunch of emails advertising "bulletproof" hosting with a new 
twist - "CAN-SPAM friendly". Below is a copy of the spam message AND a 
copy of an IM conversation with the spammer following up on that message.

Yakov

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	CAN-SPAM friendly ISP
Date: 	Tue, 23 Dec 03 15:35:42 GMT
From: 	Elvia Jones <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	Elvia Jones <[email-masked]>

*Direct marketing works!* Send thousands of emails to potentional
customers without your web site being shutdown!

Real solid and *bullet proof hosting*
<http://www.autodealz.biz/bulletproof/> starting at only $199/month.
Powerful linux platforms, offshore location! New CAN-SPAM law friendly!!

Sincerely,
Jeff

-------- Original IM Chat --------
(14:46:42) <prospective client>: hi
(14:46:48) <spammer>: hello
(14:46:55) <spammer>: how can I help you ?
(14:47:02) <prospective client>: i got an email from u recent;y and had 
some questions
(14:47:54) <spammer>: hmm about hosting ?
(14:47:59) <prospective client>: yep
(14:48:09) <spammer>: sure, go ahead
(14:48:13) <spammer>: I am here to assist you
(14:48:20) <prospective client>: your email mentioned that you are "New 
CAN-SPAM law friendly!!"
(14:48:34) <spammer>: well, kinda
(14:49:00) <spammer>: depends also on the bulk marketed (who sends the 
emails out), but we will keep "remove" links working as long as you with us
(14:49:32) <prospective client>: and do i have to make the remove link 
actually remove the email from my lists?
(14:49:59) <spammer>: that would be nice for us both, BUT we are located 
offshore
(14:50:11) <spammer>: so not a 100% requirement but would be nice of course
(14:50:29) <prospective client>: and do u do any kind of emailing also, 
or just hosting?
(14:50:30) <spammer>: your lists cleaner and less complaints to our 
upstreams
(14:52:01) <spammer>: well we do send out a bit  but prefer more hosting 
(because currently we are harvesting some email addresses)
(14:52:32) <spammer>: to get better lists
(14:54:13) <prospective client>: do i have to make my return addresses 
valid as well? and do you provide pop accounts?
(14:54:56) <spammer>: well, depends on your local law (if you want to 
fully comply with CAN-SPAM, you will need to have a valid return 
address) not 100% required with us
(14:55:10) <spammer>: we do provide POP3 accounts, but not for using in 
return emails
(14:55:38) <prospective client>: if I am in us, but hosting with u, then 
should i even worry about can spam?
(14:55:39) <spammer>: we will offer this service in the future (we can 
already supply this, but the prob is that it's a bit higher fee because 
we do not yet sell it in quantity)
(14:56:02) <spammer>: well up to you
(14:56:09) <spammer>: we have servers offshore
(14:56:12) <spammer>: in China and Brazil
(14:56:20) <spammer>: we are located in Europe
(14:56:24) <spammer>: so all should be OK
-------- Original IM Chat --------
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"But in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and 
taxes" (Benjamin Franklin)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg