Subject: RE: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:00:50 -0800

> Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> > I think that it would be OK to require ISPs to get consent from 
> > the end user.
> 
> The end-user consents by not moving to another ISP.

That is where your core political beliefs clearly differ from mine.

I believe in personal freedom, there is no choice of cable company
in my town, they are the only provider of high speed Internet. I
believe they should be a common carrier by virtue of their monopoly
status.

Every individual should have the right to become a full citizen
of the net. That means owning and controlling their own Internet
identity - they should each have their own domain name.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:03:03 -0800

> identity - they should each have their own domain name.

Whatever the cost to the provider?  They should invest in 1000x the 
bandwidth they need in order to deliver spam and viruses to your desktop 
  and let you make your own decisions?

---

From: Seth Breidbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:24:29 -0500 (EST)

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I believe in personal freedom,

So do I.

> there is no choice of cable company in my town, they are the only
> provider of high speed Internet. I believe they should be a common
> carrier by virtue of their monopoly status.

In that case they should be allowed to provide _only_ IP-level
connectivity, because that's all they have a monopoly on.  You could
then get your email from any email provider you wanted; that's clearly
not a monopoly.

> identity - they should each have their own domain name.

If you don't want to spend the $10 you can get a free third-level
domain.  So what's the problem?

Seth

---

From: Seth Breidbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:26:20 -0500 (EST)

>  and let you make your own decisions?

Sure; of course, you pay your provider for bandwidth, so they're
investing only in what they're reselling.  That seems reasonable to
me.

Of course, if you don't want to pay $500/month for all the bandwidth
taken by email worms attacking your system, you can get a $10 (or
free) email account elsewhere and let the garbage be filtered out
there.

Seth