Subject: [Asrg] Re: Sendmail backs Yahoo DK, MS CID

From: Jim Witte <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:59:42 -0500

From the article:
> "Caller ID looks at the IP address of the sending mail servers, and 
> the sender's post in DNS what the legitimate IP addresses of the 
> sending servers are," says Sendmail's Anderson. "So the IP address of 
> sending machines would be listed in DNS. A receiving mail server can 
> go check DNS for the legitimate IP addresses that the mail should be 
> coming from, and can determine whether the mail has come from the 
> right domain."

   I assume this would refer to ISP's mail relays, not individual 
end-users of ISPs (of course, ISP mail-relays *should* already be 
either locked down to the IPs of their dial-in customers, or password 
autenticated).  Would this do anything about "spam worms" that are 
unwittingly opened by (authentic) users, and then are used as bots to 
send spam, like what (I think) happened at Indiana University the last 
couple weeks - they just updated the SMTP servers to require SSL 
authentication)

Jim Witte
[email-masked]
Indiana University CS

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg