Subject: [Asrg] Re: 0. General - Bounces and Attachments

From: Jim Witte <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:11:11 -0500

On 2 Feb 2004, at 11:40, "Alan DeKok" <[email-masked]>
>  If SMTP required the originator to publish the size and number of
> messages they were trying to deliver, then that would provide
> significant information to the recipient, which would allow him to
> make better decisions about the messages.
>
>   e.g. I don't know who you are, and you want to send me a 1M message?
>        sorry, you get 10 kbps.
>
>   e.g. You said you wanted to send me a 1k message, and you've just
>        hit the 10k mark.  I think I'll hang up now, and blacklist you.

   I can do that now with a procmail filter.  What I'd like is the 
ability to either read only parts of the incoming mail (to check MIME 
content, etc), and/or to have a header that tells how many parts the 
message has.  I might be able to do this already to, but not within the 
POP protocol as is - ie I'd have to log onto the server and directly 
read the mail file, just like procmail does.

>   These sort of protocol additions have *zero* impact on trusted and
> honest users of SMTP.  They can have large impact on the ability to
> deal with malicious unknown senders.

   I agree that things like this of little impact on honest senders (the 
only exception I can think of is if you long-lost aunt, whose email 
isn't on your white-list, sends you 10MB of pictures.  But then, you 
probably don't want them in that case..)

Jim

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Alan DeKok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 07:07:39 -0500

Jim Witte <[email-masked]> wrote:
>    I can do that now with a procmail filter.

  As you may have noticed, I was talking about doing this in the SMTP
stage, BEFORE the body of the message was received.  procmail is too
late in the sequence of events to matter much.

  Alan DeKok.