Subject: RE: [Asrg] Meaningless words in spams

From: "Jesse Dougherty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:09:54 -0800

> At 12:28 PM 2/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >so, i guess a sliding window would catch filter-busting headers and 
> >trailers.
> 
> No, they add a bunch of garbage right in the body of the 
> spams too, fake 
> HTML tags or text that's the same color as the background.

Its called "word salad" and is a common technique to confuse signature
systems like DCC, razor and Brightmail.  John Graham-Cumming showed (in
his talk at the MIT conference) that the technique isn't very effective
at defeating personalized bayes spam filters as the randomness becomes
noise in the background.

It also isn't as effective at beating more heuristics based systems (and
can become a potential spam sign as well).

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg