Subject: [Asrg] 3b. SMTP Session Verification - Marking MTAs in rDNS - MTA MARK

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:03:51 -0500

MTA MARK draft has been posted to the ID archive:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stumpf-dns-mtamark-00.txt

Abstract:
"  In contrast to other more extensive approaches to deal with
    unsolicited email, commonly called "spam", this memo discusses a very
    simple authentication scheme. It uses marking of hosts in reverse DNS
    (in-addr.arpa zone) to allow the receiving mail transfer agents to
    decide whether the connecting (sending) host is a designated mail
    transfer agent (MTA) or not.

    Despite being a weaker scheme than most of the other proposals
    currently discussed, it can reduce the amount of spam and viruses/
    worms significantly and has the advantage that it can be implemented
    based on existing and well-established Internet technology like DNS
    without any changes to that technology.
"

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Among all our enemies / The ones to be most feared are often the 
smallest" (Jean de la Fontaine)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg