Subject: Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

From: Brett Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:20:02 +1100

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
> Second problem that I have is the use of 127.xxx IP addresses for this. This
> is really not something that should be done via IP addresses, a custom SRV,
> RR or TXT record would server a much better purpose.

As I understand it, the primary reason the use of "A" records isn't going away 
any time soon is because they can be accessed with the BSD 4.3 
gethostbyname() function call. Access to other record types requires some 
other API, and there's no other API as broadly deployed.

A push for standard semantics across blacklists will encounter more political 
barriers than technical, I think, but it's worth discussing. If you want to 
introduce new RR types, then bear in mind that they'll have to coexist with 
"A" records for some time as a matter of practicality.

Note also that many blacklists already use TXT records to hold URI pointers to 
further information on the listing.

Regards,
TFBW

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:49:08 -0500

> "A" records for some time as a matter of practicality.

It does not hurt to discuss it. If anyone present is involved with a 
blacklist, or feels brave enough to post to NANAE, additional input 
would be welcome.

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Some lies are easier to believe than the truth" (Dune)
-------