Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: SPF abused by spammers

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:32:37 -0400 (EDT)

> [I]f the generators of notifications always used a standard format
> (which should be processed by the UA in attempt to correlate the
> notification with a sent message [...]), then [...]

> <grumble>
> But the reality is that every email processing vendor seems to invent
> their own format for bounces, which means that automatic processing
> is not possible.

There's RFC 3462, defining multipart/report, and every time I get a
bounce for a message I didn't send which isn't multipart/report, I send
a reply asking them to please generate multipart/report bounces so they
can be mechanically recognized as bounces and processed accordingly.
(Bounces for messages I didn't send which _are_ multipart/report
generally get refused automatically.)

Repeat offenders get blocked, though only a few sites have made it to
that point so far.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg