Subject: [Asrg] Re: A plea for more hierarchy in DNS

From: "Douglas Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:22:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004, Claus Assmann wrote:
> Wouldn't it be simpler to support MTAmark instead of some naming
> scheme? Maybe an organization has some guidelines it needs/wants
> to follow for naming hosts; MTAmark wouldn't interfere with that
> but still allows others to find out whether a system is supposed
> to send mail.

Claus, you are correct, provided MTAmark is implemented.  What is the
status of MTAmark?  MTAmark seems to be a modification of the DNS
specification, so how long before everyone's BINDs get up to date?

To be really honest, I'm small fry.  I don't do my own DNS -- I let my
registrar do it.  And the interface they have doesn't seem to allow for
TXT records.

Doug Campbell

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Peter J. Holzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:46:41 +0200

> specification, so how long before everyone's BINDs get up to date?

Last time I looked, MTAmark needed only a couple of TXT records. No
change of DNS or BIND necessary.

> registrar do it.  And the interface they have doesn't seem to allow for

You aren't the only one. My ISP doesn't delegate reverse DNS for /29
networks, so I couldn't implement MTAmark for my home network myself but
need my ISP to do that. (OTOH, maybe that isn't that bad - let ISPs
publish MTA=no indications for their whole range and customers who want
to run their own MTA have to explicitely tell their ISP).

	hp

-- 
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Je höher der Norden, desto weniger wird
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | überhaupt gesprochen, also auch kein Dialekt.
| |   | [email-masked]         | Hallig Gröde ist fast gänzlich dialektfrei.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Hannes Petersen in desd
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg