Subject: [Asrg] DSN generation and handling

From: "Peter J. Holzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:58:17 +0200

This isn't directly spam-related but since some anti-spam schemes (e.g.
Michael Kaplan's) generate DSNs and require the user (or his system) to
act on them this may be of interest:

I have recently begun to collect information about the generation and
handling of DSN messages. More specifically, the points I am interested
in are:

* What format are DSN messages generated in? Do they conform to
  RFC 3464? Do they contain all relevant information? Is it presented in
  a human (user) readable manner?
  Do they contain the complete undelivered message or just part of it?

* Are DSNs generated by other systems passed through faithfully, or are
  they in some way changed?

* How is the DSN presented to the user? Does the user see all the
  information in the DSN? Does he get extra information? (for example,
  there may be explanations for the extended status codes)? Is the DSN
  linked to the bounced message? 

* How are unusual cases (e.g., multi-line SMTP responses or SMTP
  responses with very long lines or non-ASCII characters) handled?

First, has anybody already done this? I can't believe I'm the first, but
my googling skills don't seem adequate to find anything.

Secondly, I'm asking for material: DSNs, screenshots, etc. Feel free to
edit out sensitive information (email addresses, bodies of bounced
mails, etc.) but if you do, please state clearly what you removed. The
more information you can supply, the better.

For now, I'll just collect everything I get on
http://www.hjp.at/mail/dsn/. 
That should become a bit more structured as I get more material. I'll
also set up some test addresses which reject mail with different
messages. For now you can try <[email-masked]> and <[email-masked]>.

	hp

-- 
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Schlagfertigkeit ist das, was einem
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | auf dem Nachhauseweg einfällt.
| |   | [email-masked]         |    -- Lars 'Cebewee' Noschinski in dasr.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Sep 2006 17:02:39 -0000

An interesting topic.  I've seen a fair amount of discussion but nothing
approaching research.

>  Do they contain the complete undelivered message or just part of it?

There sure are a lot of them.  You can add  qmail's QSBMF
documented at http://cr.yp.to/proto/qsbmf.txt.

R's,
John