Subject: Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:42:55 +1200 (ANAT)

I never spoke of free, I spoke of pricing model. 

And it is not "as much as I like for free", but charging me by the packet, email, web site visited or any other similar model has not worked yet and is I think a dead concept when you know how the Internet works. And then you have the Internet tax, bobbing up every couple of months... 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "mathew" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, 14 November, 2008 12:31:43 PM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected 
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops) 

On Nov 13, 2008, at 16:30, Franck Martin wrote: 
> I have to stop you here. This is a real bad idea 
> 
> The Internet is not the telephone or postal system. Telcos loved 
> this pricing model, but time have changed, get over it ;) 

Who said anything about telcos? 

The "you can use as much as you like for free" model has been tried 
many times. The "recipient pays the costs, sending is free" model has 
been tried too. They've failed every time. Can you think of a single 
counterexample? If not, why do you think e-mail should magically be 
exempt from the normal observed laws of economics? 

There's a reason why the postal service stopped charging the recipient 
the entire cost of mail service. There's a reason why we don't all 
have toll-free phone numbers. There's a reason why the Cambridge 
"green bike" scheme failed, why we have environmental pollution 
controls, why we have legally decided "water rights", and why there 
are controls on fishing. It doesn't matter that fish are nothing like 
postage stamps; the fundamental problem is the same. 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: mathew <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:56:27 -0600

On Nov 13, 2008, at 18:42, Franck Martin wrote:
> And it is not "as much as I like for free", but charging me by the  
> packet, email, web site visited or any other similar model has not  
> worked yet and is I think a dead concept when you know how the  
> Internet works. And then you have the Internet tax, bobbing up every  
> couple of months...

Presumably charging by the file downloaded is also a dead concept when  
you know how the Internet works? Apple should shut down the iTunes  
Music Store and Amazon.com should give up on that whole MP3 thing  
immediately. Dead concepts.

mathew