Subject: Re: [Asrg] The wonders of telephones and paper mail

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:07:50 +1200 (ANAT)

yes, telcos are coming back with their old pricing model: volume charges. Next: these bytes are more pricey than these ones.... 

Is that why Google is installing its own fiber cable to Japan? 

Are we going on the ground of net neutrality? 

Let's go back to the topic of this group. 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "der Mouse" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Saturday, 15 November, 2008 3:58:46 PM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected 
Subject: Re: [Asrg] The wonders of telephones and paper mail 

> The Internet is not suitable for usage charging (at the packet 
> level), otherwise it would have been done long time ago. 

And in fact it is being done today. Between providers it's common 
(well, actually, it's commoner to charge per (mega)bit rather than per 
(mega)packet, but the difference is minor). Providers charging end 
users do it too, but less honestly; they usually put a floor under the 
cost, label it "unlimited", and then apply additional charges and/or 
cut service when customers take "unlimited" to mean, well, unlimited. 
(More honest providers quote flat rates for the first however much with 
some rate for additional usage, which is still fundamentally per-packet 
and/or per-bit, just, again, with a floor on it.) 

/~\ The ASCII Mouse 
\ / Ribbon Campaign 
X Against HTML [email-masked] 
/ \ Email! 7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39 4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B 
_______________________________________________ 
Asrg mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg 
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg