Subject: [Asrg] ASRG linked-in group

From: "David Nicol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:31:39 -0600

http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1361707
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Rich Kulawiec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:45:59 -0500

> http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1361707

Please, no; linkedin are well-known spammers.

---Rsk

---

From: "J.D. Falk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:51:13 -0700

> Please, no; linkedin are well-known spammers.

Well-known by whom?

---

From: Rich Kulawiec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:27:47 -0500

> > Please, no; linkedin are well-known spammers.

<shrug> I would presume by anyone who's reasonably acquainted with the
players on the field.  Not that I think we should all have encyclopedic
knowledge of thousands of spammers between our ears, but at least my
experience has been that I've seen enough of these, either directly or
via various mailing lists, that I'm constantly reminded.  For example:
linkedin.com spammed the entire Ubuntu user's list earlier this week.

Google shows a few million hits for "linkedin spam" (searching the web)
and about seventy thousand (searching its Usenet archive).   There's
also been sporadic discussion of linkedin's long-time spamming on
various public and private mailing lists.  And my spamtraps (including
some never-existed addresess) have been hit enough to get my attention.

---Rsk

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Nov 2008 12:08:31 -0000

>Google shows a few million hits for "linkedin spam" (searching the web)

I looked at a sample of them, and all the ones I saw were phishes
pretending to be from LinkedIn, which are hardly their fault.  I've
been on LinkedIn for a long time, and I've seen precious few credible
claims of spam from them.

On the other hand, we have a perfectly good mailing list here, so I
don't see much benefit in moving part of the discussion over there.

R's,
John

---

From: Rich Kulawiec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:48:34 -0500

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:08:31PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
> pretending to be from LinkedIn, which are hardly their fault.  

Granted, some *are* phishes and there's nothing to be done about those.
But there are also plenty of samples directly from their mail servers,
including the most recent one I cited.  However, I don't want to get
bogged down in a discussion of this, and I concur with the sentiment
that this list suffices.

---Rsk