Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam filter avoidance by impersonating mailing list traffic

From: mathew <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:50:55 -0600

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 18:29, Rich Kulawiec <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes.  I have spam-in-hand from multiple incidents.  And it is of course
> not necessary for them to guess, since they could (a) subscribe to those
> lists and harvest part of the subscriber list (b) grab the archives of
> [some] lists and harvest part of the subscriber list (c) go through the
> "address books" and stored mail on any zombied system and note any mailing
> list which any mail address in use on that system is subscribed to
> (d) go through any zombie which happens to be a mailing list server (e)
> etc.
>
> So why don't we see more of it?  I suspect because it's not worth
> their trouble -- yet.

Then perhaps we should consider a side-discussion of ways to combat the
problem?

mathew
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg