Subject: Re: [Asrg] off list (funny only) Re: Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Nov 2008 00:57:17 -0000

>So I tried to google "bonded sender" to see what is up with that whole
>deal any more

Bonded sender and attention bonds are unrelated.

Bonded sender was Ironport's whitelisting program.  Several years ago
they sold it to Return Path who rebuilt it from the ground up as
Sender Score Certified.

What's been called attention bonds was invented in about 2002 by
Philip Raymond who called it Vanquish.  His company is still around
and apparently still offers them, although I don't know anyone who
uses them.  The idea is that you offer a payment along with a message
you send, and the recipient collects the payment if he didn't like the
message.  See patent 6,697,462 for details.

http://www.vanquish.com/company/company_faq.shtml

The phrase "attention bonds" was invented by Thede Loder who reinvented
the same idea several years later, and was somewhat surprised when I
ran into him at a meeting at the ITU in Geneva and told him that his
great idea wasn't new and was patented by someone else.

R's,
John

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg