Subject: Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

From: "BOBOTEK, ALEX (ATTCINW)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 23:32:19 -0800

One approach to identifying a destination for spam reports is to inspect
the RECEIVED headers of the suspect message and fire the report back to
the last MTA (or perhaps a DNS txt 'spamReport' record assigned to that
MTA).  This assumes that it knows what to do with it, possibly leading
to a cascading effect.  IMHO, this is a good way of getting the info
back to systems/parties that we expect to block it.  

One potential hazard is the reports being cascaded back to the spammer,
or otherwise exposing the reporters to the extent that list washing
would be possible.  Another conceivable undesired effect is a single
spam message generating a large  number of abuse reports (if an MTA fans
out reports to multiple destinations) causing capacity issues.
DOS-by-spam-report isn't what we're after.

Not sure how practical this would be.  It would be a challenge to get a
critical mass to adopt.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Alex

Alex Bobotek
Principal Architect, Messaging and Messaging Abuse
AT&T Labs
[email-masked]
425 580-6279
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
 
This email and any files transmitted with it are AT&T property, are
confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom this email is addressed.  If you are not one of the named
recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender and delete this message
immediately from your computer.  Any other use, retention,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is
strictly prohibited.

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:53:16 +1200 (FJT)

I see 2 viable possibilities

1)do like google spam button, that in some trusted cases propose to unsubscribe instead of classifying the email as spam
2)send back an email to the domain that take (DKIM) responsibility for sending.

Franck Martin 
http://www.avonsys.com/ 
http://www.facebook.com/Avonsys 
twitter: FranckMartin Avonsys