Subject: RE: comments requested on http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atommib-atmhist-00.txt

From: "Umberto Bonollo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:49:05 +1100

Hi, I'd  be interested in discussion and feedback on the following
observations and questions:

1) The AToMMIB list seems to be leaning towards using the ATMF M4 MIB for
ATM Performance Monitoring instead of the ATMHIST MIB. That's fine by me.

2) The ATM Test MIB is being looked at and relies on
the IF Test MIB draft which expired but which was recently sent to
everybody.

The M4 MIB also has a table for carrying out tests. One question is
do you think that ATM tests should be carried out using
this M4 special purpose facility or should that portion of the M4 MIB
not be implemented - replaced instead by the AToMMIB approach.

3) One of the things about the M4 MIB which I don't like is that it's not
particularly modular. For example, the alarm tables and traps in M4 are
modelled on TMN but are for ATM only whereas in the real TMN the alarm log
structures are part of another separate generic model.

4) I have a list for implementing ATM management which looks something like
this: ATM-MIB, AToMMIB Test MIB, M4 MIB, ATM2 MIB etc...My question here is
how much of the M4 MIB should be implemented and how much should be left
alone and dealt with by another standard MIB module such as those suggested
in the AToMMIB WG? (of course, the ATM-MIB is imported and extended by the
M4 MIB.) What list of MIB modules would be seen as being a consistent whole
for ATM management?

Regards,

Umberto Bonollo ([email-masked])
Senior Computer Scientist
DSLAM Project
Systems Software Department
NEC Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Kaj Tesink [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, 19 December 1998 8:07
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: comments requested on
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atommib-atmhist-00.txt

hi all,

its time we decide on how to deal with
draft-ietf-atommib-atmhist-00.txt.
it has been posted for a long time and is about to expire.

at the time, this spec was written to support work going on in the ATMF,
but a status check revealed that currently:

a) there is no ATMF MIB that uses the ATMHIST MIB (no IMPORTS or any
   other references)
b) there is an ATMF MIB (M4) that covers similar functionality, but
   the ATMHIST has some stuff that M4 doesnot have (the oppposite is
   true too but that is not relevant for the question of what to do
   with the ATMHIST MIB). however, these extra functions are minor
   and could also be worked through an extension of the M4 MIB
   if the ATMF would determine the need.

my own inclination is always to be suspicious about 'competing specs'
since even if there are technical merits in the competing version you
may only achieve market fragmentation or confusion by having both specs
around.

Gary Hanson produced an excellent detailed comparison that is attached
below.

my question to the list is whether there are folks who want to argue
for retaining this spec and develop it further. in case of sufficient
interest
(and a volunteer editor) we should complete this soon. in the other
case the draft will be expired. given off-line comments i got already
i will interpret lack of comments as a vote to let the spec expire.

any comments?

kaj

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gary's analysis:

In ATMHIST-MIB              In ATM-FORUM-SNMP-M4-MIB
--------------------------  -----------------------------------------
atmProtoCurrSuspect         atmfM4CellProtoCurrSuspect
  (similar to above)        atmfM4TcProtoCurrSuspect
atmProtoCurrTimeElapsed     atmfM4CellProtoCurrElapsedTime  (similar)
  (similar to above)        atmfM4TcProtoCurrElapsedTime
  (no equivalent)           atmfM4CellProtoCurrSupprIntvls
  (also no equivalent)      atmfM4TcProtoCurrSupprIntvls
atmProtoCurrTotalCellIns      (no equivalent)
atmProtoCurrClp0CellIns       (no equivalent)
atmProtoCurrProtoErrors     atmfM4CellProtoCurrProtoErrors
  (no equivalent)           atmfM4CellProtoCurrInOAMCells
atmProtoCurrDiscardHECViol  atmfM4TcProtoCurrDiscardHECViol
atmProtoHistIndex           atmfM4CellProtoHistIndex
  (similar to above)        atmfM4TcProtoHistIndex
atmProtoHistEndTime         atmfM4CellProtoHistElapsedTime  (similar)
  (similar to above)        atmfM4TcProtoHistElapsedTime
atmProtoHistSuspect         atmfM4CellProtoHistSuspect
  (similar to above)        atmfM4TcProtoHistSuspect
  (no equivalent)           atmfM4CellProtHistSupprIntvls
  (also no equivalent)      atmfM4TcProtoHistSupprIntvls
atmProtoHistTotalCellIns      (no equivalent)

atmProtoHistClp0CellIns       (no equivalent)
atmProtoHistProtoErrors     atmfM4CellProtoHistProtoErrors
  (no equivalent)           atmfM4CellProtoHistInOAMCells
atmProtoHistDiscardHECViol  atmfM4TcProtoHistDiscardHECViol
atmVplCurrSuspect           atmfM4VpUpcNpcCurrSuspect
atmVplCurrTimeElapsed       atmfM4VpUpcNpcCurrElapsedTime  (similar)
  (no equivalent)           atmfM4VpUpcNpcCurrSupprIntvls
atmVplCurrTotalCellIns        (= DiscardedCells + PassedCells)
atmVplCurrClp0CellIns         (= DiscardedClp0 + PassedClp0)
atmVplCurrTotalDiscards     atmfM4VpUpcNpcCurrDiscardedCells
atmVplCurrClp0Discards      atmfM4VpUpcNpcCurrDiscardedClp0
atmVplCurrTotalCellOuts     atmfM4VpUpcNpcCurrPassedCells
atmVplCurrClp0CellOuts      atmfM4VpUpcNpcCurrPassedClp0
atmVplCurrTaggedOuts          (no equivalent)
atmVplHistIndex             atmfM4VpUpcNpcHistIndex
atmVplHistEndTime           atmfM4VpUpcNpcHistElapsedTime  (similar)
atmVplHistSuspect           atmfM4VpUpcNpcHistSuspect
  (no equivalent)           atmfM4VpUpcNpcHistSupprIntvls
atmVplHistTotalCellIns        (= DiscardedCells + PassedCells)
atmVplHistClp0CellIns         (= DiscardedClp0 + PassedClp0)
atmVplHistDiscardedCells    atmfM4VpUpcHistDiscardedCells
atmVplHistDiscardedClp0     atmfM4VpUpcHistDiscardedClp0
atmVplHistTotalCellOuts     atmfM4VpUpcHistPassedCells
atmVplHistClp0CellOuts      atmfM4VpUpcHistPassedClp0
atmVplHistTaggedOuts          (no equivalent)
atmVclCurrSuspect           atmfM4VcUpcNpcCurrSuspect
atmVclCurrTimeElapsed       atmfM4VcUpcNpcCurrElapsedTime  (similar)
  (no equivalent)           atmfM4VcUpcNpcCurrSupprIntvls
atmVclCurrTotalCellIns        (= DiscardedCells + PassedCells)
atmVclCurrClp0CellIns         (= DiscardedClp0 + PassedClp0)
atmVclCurrTotalDiscards     atmfM4VcUpcNpcCurrDiscardedCells
atmVclCurrClp0Discards      atmfM4VcUpcNpcCurrDiscardedClp0
atmVclCurrTotalCellOuts     atmfM4VcUpcNpcCurrPassedCells
atmVclCurrClp0CellOuts      atmfM4VcUpcNpcCurrPassedClp0
atmVclCurrTaggedOuts          (no equivalent)
atmVclHistIndex             atmfM4VcUpcNpcHistIndex
atmVclHistEndTime           atmfM4VcUpcNpcHistElapsedTime  (similar)
atmVclHistSuspect           atmfM4VcUpcNpcHistSuspect
  (no equivalent)           atmfM4VcUpcNpcHistSupprIntvls
atmVclHistTotalCellIns        (= DiscardedCells + PassedCells)
atmVclHistClp0CellIns         (= DiscardedClp0 + PassedClp0)
atmVclHistDiscardedCells    atmfM4VcUpcNpcHistDiscardedCells
atmVclHistDiscardedClp0     atmfM4VcUpcNpcHistDiscardedClp0
atmVclHistTotalCellOuts     atmfM4VcUpcNpcHistPassedCells
atmVclHistClp0CellOuts      atmfM4VcUpcNpcHistPassedClp0
atmVclHistTaggedOuts          (no equivalent)

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kaj Tesink
Bellcore
Email  [email-masked]
Tel    732.758.5254
Fax    732.758.2269
Postal 331 Newman Springs Rd
       Red Bank, NJ 07701
       USA

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/