Subject: RFC2558 and higher speed interfaces

From: Glenn McGuire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:11:17 -0400

Is there any interest out here yet for supporting SONET interface speeds
greater than OC48 via the SONET MIB?

Right now I'm not hearing any noise about OC-96, so OC192 seems to be
the next step.

We'd need a new sonetPathCurentWidth enumeration, something like
"sts192cSTM64 == 6".

The only other potential change would be the (possible) expansion of the
sonet*IntervalCVs, since it is theoretically possible to exceed 32 bits
with many STS-1's per frame, and really high BER.

	-gm

Glenn McGuire
Software Engineer
Lucent Technologies INS (Nexabit Networks)
[email-masked]

---

From: "C. M. Heard/VVNET, Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:21:32 -0700 (PDT)

> with many STS-1's per frame, and really high BER.

Actually, the CV counters probably do not need to be wideneded, but another
clarification is definitely in order.

Although RFC 2558 does not say so, ANSI T1.231-1997 clause 9.4 requires
that CV counts be inhibited during severely errored seconds.

If it is the sense of the WG that the SONET-MIB is supposed to adhere to
the ANSI definitions -- which I certainly believe is the correct thing to
do -- then the next revision of the SONET-MIB document should add text to
this effect.

Mike
--
C. M. Heard/VVNET, Inc.
[email-masked]