Subject: draft-kuhfeld-sonet-aps-mib-01

From: Ken Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:18:17 -0400

I like the work done by Jeff and Jim on the SONET APS MIB.
However, I'd like to suggest some changes.  
- While I read somewhere recently that MIB tables should be 
  indexed by names (DisplayString), I find it hard to accept 
  that that is the "simplest" approach.  In the case of this MIB, 
  I find that using an already well established (albeit not very 
  easy to implement) index in the form of the ifIndex to be the 
  most straightforward approach.  
- Another small change is to combine the config and status tables; 
  from my implementation experience, the fewer the tables, the 
  less the work!  
- Another thing I would suggest changing is to expand some of the 
  "cryptic" encoded object into more user-friendly objects.  

Rather than try to suggest a whole raft to specific changes to
draft-kuhfeld-sonet-aps-mib-01, I've put together a complete 
separate submission.  I'll leave it to the WG to decide how to 
"merge" the two, but I'd suggest picking one as a starting point 
and then pick it appart.  :^)

	Ken

================================================
Ken Chapman                 Argon Networks, Inc.
tel: +1-978-486-0665 x146   25 Porter Road
fax: +1-978-486-9379        Littleton, MA  01460
mailto:[email-masked]   http://www.Argon.com
================================================