Subject: MIB variable In and Out directions ???

From: Judith Jerkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:19:31 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Atommib WOrking Group members:

I apologize if this question is too naive, but we have had
extensive discussions on it and can not agree....

MY quesion is: what are the measurements for Interface(port),
 VPL, and VCL with regards to In and Out variables?
 
Below you see the MIB table for VPL statistics.
Are the atmVplStatTotalCellOuts going in the *same* direction as the
atmVplStatTotalCellIns, or are they going in the *opposite* direction on the 
same bidirectional link? 

It seems to me that they should be going in opposite directions, since the cells
travelling in the same direction would be 'out' cells for a different
{port,vpi,vci} combination.

Similarly, for the ifTable from RFC 2515, are the ifInOctets and
ifOutOctets going in different directions for the single/same port
indexed by ifIndex, or do they simply count bytes going in the same
direction into the switch fabric, but before and after the HEC errors are 
discarded? 

THANK YOU very MUCH for your help! Judith Jerkins, Telcordia

============================================================
 From the Supplemental ATM Management Objects 3/13/98
 <draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-12.txt>

 9. ATM VPL Statistics Table

              atmVplStatTable   OBJECT-TYPE
                  SYNTAX       SEQUENCE OF AtmVplStatEntry
                  MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
                  STATUS       current
                  DESCRIPTION
                      "This table contains all statistic counters per
                      VPL.  It is used to monitor the usage of the VPL
                      in terms of incoming cells and outgoing cells."
                  ::= { atm2MIBObjects 9 }

              atmVplStatEntry    OBJECT-TYPE
                  SYNTAX       AtmVplStatEntry
                  MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
                  STATUS       current
                  DESCRIPTION
                      "Each entry in this table represents a VPL."
                  INDEX { ifIndex, atmVplVpi }
                  ::= { atmVplStatTable 1 }

              AtmVplStatEntry ::=
                  SEQUENCE {
                      atmVplStatTotalCellIns      Counter32,
                      atmVplStatClp0CellIns       Counter32,
                      atmVplStatTotalDiscards     Counter32,
                      atmVplStatClp0Discards      Counter32,
                      atmVplStatTotalCellOuts     Counter32,
                      atmVplStatClp0CellOuts      Counter32,
                      atmVplStatTaggedOuts        Counter32
              }  

----- End Included Message -----

----- End Included Message -----