Subject: draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-13.txt Posting

From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:54:16 -0400

Hi,

Please post the attached as draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-13.txt.
This replaces draft 12 that recently expired and accommodates
several issues identified during quality review by Gary Hanson.
Discussion on these issues will be mailed separately to the list.

Thanks,

Kaj

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kaj Tesink
Telcordia Technologies (formerly Bellcore)
Email  [email-masked]
Tel    732.758.5254
Fax    732.758.2269
Postal 331 Newman Springs Rd
        Red Bank, NJ 07701
        USA

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:10:30 -0400

hi all,

Gary Hanson has done a quality review of the atm2 mib
and i'm posting for him the results of his extensive review
(thanks Gary!)
here are the set of changes that he applied to create
draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-13.txt
in addition we identified some additional issues and resolutions
which require one more revision, to be posted soon.

please review this draft carefully and holler with any
remaining comments

kaj

Substantive changes made
-------------------------

1.  Removed BITS from the IMPORTS clause, per Kaj's 6/14/99 email.

2.  Removed mib-2 from the IMPORTS clause since it is not used.

3.  Added missing SIZE(0|4) to OCTET STRING for atmSigSupportPrefCarrier.

4.  Changed SIZE(0..7) to SIZE(0..8) for atmSigDescrParamBhliInfo, to allow
     for use of octets 6-13 for the user-specific case, and added a sentence
     about this case to the DESCRIPTION.  Also changed vendorSpecific(4) to
     vendorSpecific(5) in the DESCRIPTION.

5.  Changed SIZE(0..5) to SIZE(0|5) for atmSigDescrParamBlliOuiPid.  Also
     changed none(1) to other(1) in the DESCRIPTION.

6.  Fixed DESCRIPTION of atmAal5VclStatEntry to clarify which ifIndex
     value is to be used.  Used similar wording as for aal5VccEntry in the
     ATM-MIB, since it seems preferable to index these in the same manner.

7.  Removed bogus, misleading comments from the atmSigDescrParamRowStatus
     DESCRIPTION.

8.  Changed InterfaceIndex to InterfaceIndexOrZero for the SYNTAX of
     atmIlmiSrvcRegIndex, in order to legally accommodate the value 0.

9.  Moved atm2MIBConformance from {atm2MIB 2} to {atm2MIB 3}, to resolve
     OID conflict with atm2MIBTraps, thus allowing atm2MIBTraps to use the
     more traditional lower value of {atm2MIB 2}, and also reducing the
     possibility of contradicting fielded implementations if we forced the
     newer atm2MIBTraps OID to move.

10. The atmSigDescrParamBhliInfo SYNTAX only allows a maximum OCTET
     STRING size of 7 octets, which is not enough to fill octets 6
     through 13 when the higher layer information is user-defined, as
     when atmSigDescrParamBhliType is user(3). (DONE)

     Also, the DESCRIPTION refers to a vendorSpecific(4) value instead a
     vendorSpecific(5) value for atmSigDescrParamBhliType. (DONE)

11. The atmSigDescrParamBlliOuiPid DESCRIPTION refers to the none(1)
     value of atmSigDescrParamBlliLayer3 object, which doesn't exist,
     instead of the other(1) value. (DONE)

12. The extra verbage in the atmSigDescrParamRowStatus DESCRIPTION is not
     necessary, and incorrectly says the createAndWait value can be read.
     (This verbage should be removed to minimize confusion, since this is
     supposed to be a perfectly normal RowStatus object.) (DONE)

Editorial changes made
----------------------

1.  Changed date from "May 31, 1999" to "September 13, 1999".

2.  Changed expiration from "11/31/99" to "3/13/2000".

3.  Fixed Figure 1 and Figure 2 to make the vertical bars on either
     side of the double-sided arrows line up with the edges of the
     boxes above them.  Also put all legends below the arrows to make
     them easier to read at a glance.

4.  Clarified Figure 9 and the descriptive text that follows it, adding
     references to relevant MIB objects.

5.  Changed LAST-UPDATED and most-recent REVISION clause values from
     "9905311200Z" to "9909161200Z".

6.  Changed reference to RFC 2514 to RFC 2515 in DESCRIPTION for the
     atm2MIB MODULE-IDENTITY clause.

7.  Changed the last three paragraphs in Section 3 ("The SNMP Management
     Framework") to not be indented to the same level as the 5th bullet.

8.  Changed "this supplemental ATM-MIB" to "this supplemental ATM2-MIB"
     at the end of section 4.1 ("Background").

9.  Added reference to [17] for more definitions and illustrations of ATM
     terminology.

10. Changed "See also Section 7." to "See also Section 5." in last sentence
     of Section 4.3.6.

11. Added "and buffer capacity" after "depending on the bandwidth" in the
     second paragraphs of Section 4.3.9 and Section 4.3.11.

12. Changed "equals to the" to "equals the" in the last sentence of the
     last paragraphs of Section 4.3.9 and Section 4.3.11.

13. Changed a few wordings in the atmSigSSCOPConEvents DESCRIPTION to
     match Q.2110 more closely:
     - Changed "exceeds the MaxCC or" to "equals or exceeds the MaxCC, or".
     - Changed "RESYNC PDU" to "RS PDU".

14. Changed a few wordings in the atmSigSSCOPErrdPdus DESCRIPTION to
     match Q.2110 more closely:
     - Changed "with incorrect length" to "with an incorrect length".
     - Changed "undefined PDU type code or not" to "an undefined PDU type
       code, or that are not".
     - Changed "MAA error" to "MAA-ERROR".
     - Changed "Errors A-M and Q-T" to "MAA-ERROR codes A-D, F-M, and Q-T".

15. Changed "mesg" to "message" in about a half dozen places.

16. Changed "calling line id restriction (CLIR)" to "calling line
     identification restriction (CLIR)" to match SIG4.0 text.

17. Changed indentation of comments inside atmSigDescrParamAalType
     DEFINITION to line up properly.

18. Changed "1996ATM Forum ILMI 4.0 Specification" to "1996" in the
     REFERENCE clauses for the following objects (since the old reference
     had been completely expanded without deleting the original words):
     - atmIntfIlmiFsmState
     - atmIntfIlmiEstablishConPollIntvl
     - atmIntfIlmiCheckConPollIntvl
     - atmIntfIlmiConPollInactFactor

19. Changed reference of RFC 1902 to RFC 2578 in atmIlmiNetworkPrefixEntry
     DESCRIPTION.

20. Added a few missing commas in various lists of things.

21. Added a few missing hyphens in adjectives like "per-VCC Statistics".
     Left other non-adjective usages like "counters per VCL" as is.

22. Changed "statistic counters" to "statistics counters" in 2 places.

23. Changed "an  discarded" to "and discarded" in 2 places.

24. Changed "Vcl" to "VCL" where the acronym was appropriate.

25. Added a few missing words in some MIB object DESCRIPTIONs.

26. Removed all page breaks from within the MIB itself.

27. Reduced all long lines to less than 78 columns, to minimize the
     possibility that they will be clipped again at 256 columns.  This
     should have no effect on the text appearance.

28. Changed "ADC Kentrox" to "ADC Telecommunications" for Gary Hanson's
     current company name.

Kaj Tesink