Subject: APS DRAFT ISSUES LIST

From: Jim Kuhfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 08:15:17 -0800 (PST)

A new APS MIB draft is available, draft-ietf-atommib-sonetaps-mib-00.txt.
This is a revision of draft-kuhfeld-sonet-aps-mib-01.txt, containing
changes  based on feedback from the working group and aspects of
draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt. A Change Log section is provided, 
summarizing the changes or "proposed resolutions" applied since the previous draft.

There are a number of open issues that require discussion. The following is 
a list of differences compiled by comparing 
draft-ietf-atommib-sonetaps-mib-00.txt with 
draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt. Kaj's comments have also been included. 
Earlier working group issues should also be revisited, for example the post by
Lauren Heintz in reference to draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt. This list is 
intended to serve as a starting point for  discussion with the goal of merging the 
best ideas into a new draft.

TABLE INDEXING

draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt indexes group table entries with 
"The ifIndex for the SONET line that is the designated Protection line." 
draft-ietf-atommib-sonetaps-mib-00.txt indexes the group tables by the 
SnmpAdminString group name.

SINGLE GROUP TABLE OR GROUP TABLES SEPARATED BY FUNCTION 

draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt provides a single group table
and a single channel table each containing both configuration and status 
fields. draft-ietf-atommib-sonetaps-mib-00.txt provides separate tables for 
group configuration and group status, and also breaks up the channel tables
by function, providing configuration, commands and status as three separate
tables.

BITS CONFIGURATION OR MULTIPLE INTEGERS

draft-ietf-atommib-sonetaps-mib-00.txt provides a BITS configuration field, 
apsConfigMode, allowing configuration of architecture, bidirectional or 
unidirectional, revertive or nonrevertive, and enabling of extra traffic on 
the protection line. draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt breaks this 
function up into four integers, architecture, direction, switching 
(revertive or nonrevertive), and extra traffic, apsGroupArchitecture, 
apsGroupAdminDirection, apsGroupAdminSwitching and apsGroupExtraTraffic.

CHANNEL SWITCHED TO PROTECTION LINE REPRESENTATION AND CHANNEL STATUS 

draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt provides a group level INTEGER, 
apsGroupSwitchedChannel, that indicates, 
        "The number of the working channel that is currently being
        switched to the protection line.  If no working channel is being
        switched, this value is zero (0).  If the protection line is
        being used for extra traffic, this value is 15."

draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt has  "both lines failed" and 
"protection line busy" status bits in apsChannelStatus. Both drafts
provide per channel sd, sf, lockedOut and switched bits. 

draft-ietf-atommib-sonetaps-mib-00.txt draft provides a channel based status 
bit in  apsChanStatus, indicating if the channel in question is switched. 
The use of the protection line for extra traffic is indicated in the group 
status field, apsStatusCurrent, with an extra traffic bit. 

draft-ietf-atommib-sonetaps-mib-00.txt could add support for the 
apsGroupSwitchedChannel functionality and add a group level status
bit indicating that a working channel is currently switched to protection.
The use of "both lines failed" is questioned since it's applicability
is limited to two line groups and because the per channel sd and sf
bits seem sufficient. The use of "protection line busy" is questioned
in a channel status field, especially if support is added for the
group level "working channel switched to protection" bit.

CHANNEL DIRECTION

draft-kchapman-sonet-aps-mib-00.txt mib provides a channel based field, 
apsChannelOperDirectionMode, that indicates if the channel is unidirectional 
or bidirectional. Group direction configuration is supplied by 
draft-ietf-atommib-sonetaps-mib-00.txt.

SDH

We should make an explicit statement on the scope of inclusion/exclusion (Kaj).

COMMAND TABLE DOCUMENTATION

Some sort of state diagram on the command table could be useful (Kaj).