Subject: atommib 53rd minutes - Minneapolis

From: Nathan Kohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:12:11 -0400

AToM MIB WG (atommib)
IETF 53,  Minneapolis
Tuesday, March 19 at 1545-1645
Attendance 20

Chairs: Faye Ly <[email-masked]> and Nathan Kohn <[email-masked]>

Many thanks to Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]> for these minutes

Comments should be sent to the list [email-masked]

1. Introductions, Agenda bashing, Minutes Taker  - 
	Nathan Kohn <[email-masked]> 5 min

	see http://www.ietf.org/ietf/02mar/atommib.txt

	There were no major changes to the posted agenda.

2. Implementation reports (RFC 2493 - 2496). Faye/Orly 15 min
        "Faye Ly" <[email-masked]>
        "Orly Nicklass" <[email-masked]>

	The ATM extensions document is nearly ready for WG last call.

	Orly "Orly Nicklass" <[email-masked]> gave a report on RFC 2495
implementations, 
	noting specific objects and entire groups not supported.  Some of these
	didn't make sense because they were tied to channelization,
	which the product in question didn't support.

	The MIB is problematic for products which are able to change
	port configuration between different types.  Implementors
	have kludged around it by using different communities and
	enterprise MIBs.

	Orly took the action item to send an RFC 2496 implementation
	report to Faye.

	There was dicussion of the use of textual conventions from
	RFC 2493 in other documents, but no conclusions.

3. SONET MIB (RFC 2558/RFC 2493) status - Mike Heard, 15 minutes
        "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>

	Mike gave an update on the status of the Sonet and
	PerfHist TCs.  The Sonet update included the addition of two
	enumerations, but all other changes were editorial.

	The review of RFC 2558 issues focussed on comments that several
	vendors had had to implement enterprise MIBs to cope with the
	lack of configuration support in the standards-track MIB.
	Those present supported work on a separate standards-track
	document to cover configuration.

	Discussion turned to the relationship between the APS and Sonet
	MIBs for SFSD conditions.  These are problematic because they
	were not in the original Sonet work, and can't be added to the
	integer "bitmap" there, so they ended up in APS.  This facility
	could also be of value to resilient packet rings.  Discussion
	of this generalization is to be continued on the working group
	mailing list.  One of the concerns is that SDH support issues,
	including failure definitions, configuration, and so on are
	also usually done in proprietary MIBs.  Definitions for SDH
	background block and Sonet code violations will be needed.

	It was noted that currently TL-1 is the primary mechanism
	used to configure these devices.

4. Optical Interface MIB - Status - Kam Lam, 5 minutes
        "Kam Lam" <[email-masked]>

	Kam Lam gave an update on the Optical MIB, reviewing the
	changes between the -03 and -04 versions, as well as proposed
	additional changes for -05, which is planned for working
	group last call.  Some object definitions will be changing.
	Cross-connect support will not be included, but might be
	appropriate for a supplement.

5. WIS joint design team - atommib issues 10 min

	Time was running short.  As the joint session with hubmib was 
	immediately following and as there were no atommib only concerns
	this item rolled into the joint session.

6. Milestone & Charter review - Nathan 5 min
        "Nathan Kohn"   [email-masked]      

	The working group charter's milestones are seriously in need
	of update.  The chairs will update them to reflect current status.

7. Items for IETF #54 - 5 min

	A show of hands indicated that a least a half dozen participants
	were interested in having a session at 54th Yokohama and would
	attend in person.