Subject: IPv4 dependency in ATM-MIB (RFC 2515)

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 08:25:14 -0700 (PDT)

AToM MIB colleagues,

The following survey document produced by the v6ops WG

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-02.txt

points out that the ATM-MIB (RFC 2515) defines the following object
of type IpAddress and so is not IPv6 friendly:

     atmInterfaceMyNeighborIpAddress OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX         IpAddress
          MAX-ACCESS     read-write
          STATUS         current
          DESCRIPTION
           "The IP address of the neighbor system connected to
            the  far end of this interface, to which a Network
            Management Station can send SNMP messages, as IP
            datagrams sent to UDP port 161, in order to access
            network management information concerning the
            operation of that system.  Note that the value
            of this object may be obtained in different ways,
            e.g., by manual configuration, or through ILMI
            interaction with the neighbor system."
          ::= { atmInterfaceConfEntry 11 }

The AToM MIB WG may wish to consider deprecating this object and
replacing it with an InetAddress/InetAddressType pair (see RFC 3291)
in order to make the ATM-MIB IPv6-friendly.

Mike Heard