Subject: FW: 59th IETF - Visa information

From: "Lam, Hing-Kam (Kam)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:09:19 -0500

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 7:20 PM
To: IETF-Announce; @[email-masked]
Subject: 59th IETF - Visa information

In discussions with the Korean Ministry and Consulate, we have been
told the following:

1.  U.S. citizens traveling to Korea to attend the IETF meeting in
Seoul do not need a visa, as they are traveling to attend a technical,
non-profit conference. They can stay in Korea up to 30 days for such
purposes and for tourism.

2.  A visa is required if traveling to Korea for business purposes,
such as meeting customers or other business purposes.

3.  U.S. government employees going to Korea as individuals to attend
a technical, non-profit conference such as IETF or for tourist purposes
do not need a visa so long as they are going as private citizens. U.S.
government employees going to Korea for official purposes do need a visa.

We are waiting for an official letter from the Korean Consulate in
Washington, DC stating the above.  As soon as we receive this letter, we
will send out a notice as well as post it on the 59th IETF Meeting Web
page.   You will be able to run off a copy of the letter and take it with
you in case you need it for Korean Immigrations.

On your arrival card for Korea, state that you are attending a technical
conference.  This should suffice.  If you are asked for additional
information, then present the letter at that time.

The Ministry of Korea has a web site on visa requirements at:
http://www.mofat.go.kr/en/visa/e_visa.mof