Subject: Re: Dereferencing Identity Constructs

From: Henry Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:59:51 +0100

Ahhh! Here I make the mistake again.

The id relation, relating an Entry and a Identity Construct is 
functional, not inverse
functional. Hence an Entry can only have one id relation to a URI of 
type identity construct.

But there is a way out of this: if an entry has a number of id 
relations, then one is forced
to conclude that those identity constructs have the relation "same as".

So if one had

<entry>
	<title>Atom Robots run Amok</title>
	<id>http://bblfish.net/blog/</id>
	<id>tag://bblfish.net/eternalid/for/that/story</id>
	...
</entry>

Then one would be forced to conclude that
	
    <http://bblfish.net/blog/> rdf:sameAs 
<tag://bblfish.net/eternalid/for/that/story>

(wink to advanced rdfers: is that ok?)

for rdf newbies with primary mathematics background consider the 
function

    f(x) = x * 25

	so f(0) = 0
	   f(1) = 25
	   f(2) = 50
	etc.

   if we are told that

	f(a) = 100 and f(a) = 2*50
     then we can conclude that 100 == 2*50

Henry Story

On 31 Jan 2005, at 16:25, Henry Story wrote:
>
> One way to get people to have their cake and eat it too, may be to 
> allow multiple id tags.
> Since an id is an inverse functional relationship between an Entry a 
> Resource this should
> not cause any trouble. In any case there will never be any way you can 
> limit the number of
> names a thing has.
>
> Henry Story
>

---

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:28:40 +0100

I'm a little confused over what's being proposed or counterproposed
here - I thought consensus last year was to break the Web....

Whatever, I do think <id> URIs should be treated as URIs according to
webarch etc - it should be possible to dereference them, assuming
that's supported by the scheme.

The easiest implementation of a blog feed would be to have the <id>
referring to the resource entry that has a HTML representation in the
blog. It seems perverse to build a whole new system of Web data
reference around permalinks and assuming unCool URIs.

Cheers,
Danny. 

-- 

http://dannyayers.com