Subject: Getting ready for the protocol discussion

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:38:42 -0800

<WithCo-ChairHatOn>

While our esteemed editors are at work on format-06, it's about time we 
get to work on the protocol problems.  Paul and Sam and I think that 
the central outstanding issue is collection handling, which is strongly 
related to the relationship-with-DAV meta-issue.

Thus, Sam is planning, on Monday, to launch a discussion of all the 
outstanding collection-related Protocol Paces. These appear to be in a 
bit of disarray, which is understandable given that we've been looking 
elsewhere for a while.  Therefore, we'd like the authors of those 
paces, and other parties interested in them, to do a bit of cleanup and 
maintenance.  If some of the Paces need revising, revise them; if they 
need retracting, retract them; if several can be coalesced into one, 
that would be excellent.  We want to make sure that when these are 
officially launched, they are high-quality proposals for draft changes 
that will drive useful discussion.  The co-chairs have already put the 
kibosh on Paces because they were messy or out of date, but we don't 
like doing that.

</WithCo-ChairHatOn>

  -Tiom