Subject: PaceCaching posted

From: Walter Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:38:42 -0800

I was holding this back as out of scope and too close to the deadline,
but now that we are talking about sliding windows and delayed, cached
state, it is quite relevant.

This proposal uses HTTP caching algorithms, but does not require an
HTTP transport. Atom over other transports can use these algorithms.

  <http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceCaching>

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Principal Architect, Verity

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:08:48 -0800

>state, it is quite relevant.

Sorry, this is too late for consideration for the Atom core. Even if 
you had turned it in on time, I would give it a -1 for not being 
essential to the core for the Atom format. Atom will be distributed 
over many protocols, HTTP being one of them. Having said that, I 
think this would be an excellent extension, one that might keep the 
folks who don't understand HTTP scalability but feel free to talk 
about it anyway at bay.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Walter Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:53:44 -0800

This is not restricted to HTTP. It uses HTTP's cache age algorithms,
because they are very carefully designed and have proven effective.
But it can be used for any local copy in an Atom client.

wunder

--On Monday, February 07, 2005 10:08:48 AM -0800 Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sorry, this is too late for consideration for the Atom core. Even if you had turned it in on time, I would give it a -1 for not being essential to the core for the Atom format. Atom will be distributed over many protocols, HTTP being one of them. Having said that, I think this would be an excellent extension, one that might keep the folks who don't understand HTTP scalability but feel free to talk about it anyway at bay.
>
> --Paul Hoffman, Director

--
Walter Underwood
Principal Architect
Verity Ultraseek