Subject: PaceCommentFeeds posted

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:19:50 -0700

This doesn't seem to have made it when I sent it last night, so here it 
is again:

An alternative to PaceEntriesElement - doesn't address all of the same 
issues, but combined with PaceAggregationDocument, would address a 
number of them.

http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceCommentFeeds

Abstract

Enable the creation of comment feeds (comments on an entry from another 
feed) and the atomization of other hierarchical data, such as 
discussion forums, without recursion, by adding "comments" to the 
lin/@rel registry, and allowing atom:content and atom:summary as 
children of atom:head.
Status

Open

Rationale

     * Comments on weblog entries and comment feeds are a reality today. 
Atom does not currently have a good way to support them.
     * Other hierarchical data that is sometimes syndicated could use a 
good method of representation using Atom.
     * This method enables this while preserving the simplicity of a 
flat feed model.

Proposal

In section 4.2 of draft-ietf-atompub-format-05.txt, add the following 
to the lists of child elements of atom:head:

       & atomSummary?
       & atomContent?

and:

       atom:head elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:summary 
element.
       atom:head elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:content 
element.

Add the following to section 4.6.2:

       The value "comments" signifies that the URI in the value of the 
href attribute identifies a resource containing comments on the content 
of the containing atom:feed or atom:entry element. For example, the URI 
may identify another Atom feed document whose entries are comments 
about the containing atom:entry.