Subject: FW: [rss-media] Coexistence with Atom ?

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:47:32 -0500

The following message was on the RSS-Media group at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-media/

It seems reasonable to expect that users will expect that Atom and RSS-Media
will, in fact, be used in concert in the future.

  _____  

From: ecomputerd [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [rss-media] Coexistence with Atom ?

Has anyone reviewed how rss-media will coexist with Atom? I would 
imagine that Atom along with rss-media will be the next 
specifications that RSS client developers will need to implement 
(for those that haven't already).

As a related note, is there any way to include rss-media as a part 
(or subset) of Atom.

I apologize for not bringing this up earlier, it seems like we could 
reduce the effort expended by developers if these specifications can 
coexists--or be merged, for that matter.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS reader and podcatcher
Catches video, too!
www.FeederReader.com

---

From: David Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:12:23 +0000

One of the reasons for proposing PaceExtensionConstruct [1] was to allow existing RSS extensions and RDF properties to be used in Atom.  

If we have no model for extension elements, other than that they are bits of opaque infoset hanging in specific but meaningless places, then it seems that we need to redefine all existing extensions for use in Atom on a case-by-case basis.  This thread seems to confirm that.

Is that the best that we can come up with?

[1] http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceExtensionConstruct

-- 
Dave