Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-atompub-format-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:38:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Atom Publishing Format and Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Atom Syndication Format
	Author(s)	: M. Nottingham, R. Sayre
	Filename	: draft-ietf-atompub-format-08.txt
	Pages		: 51
	Date		: 2005-4-19
	
This document specifies Atom, an XML-based Web content and metadata
   syndication format.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-format-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-atompub-format-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-format-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Robert Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:03:51 -0400

All,

HTML:
http://atompub.org/2005/04/18/draft-ietf-atompub-format-08.html

diffs:
http://atompub.org/2005/04/18/draft-ietf-atompub-format-08-from-7.diff.html

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-format-08.txt

Robert Sayre

---

From: Bill de hÓra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:15:43 +0100

> http://atompub.org/2005/04/18/draft-ietf-atompub-format-08-from-7.diff.html

I was about to ask for the html, thanks :)

cheers
Bill

---

From: Thomas Broyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:33:38 +0200

>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-format-08.txt

In section 3.1.1.3
[
Escaped characters, such as "&" and ">", represent those characters, not
markup.
]

Shouldn't these "characters" be written as "&amp;" and "&lt;"?
I also propose using < instead of >, as > isn't really a problem.

[
Escaped characters, such as "&amp;" and "&lt;", represent those 
characters (namely "&" and "<"), not markup.
]

-- 
Thomas Broyer

---

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:32:27 +0100

> characters (namely "&" and "<"), not markup.

No, the current wording is technically correct but the wording could be 
better:

The escaped versions of characters such as "&" and ">" represent those 
characters, not
markup.

Graham

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:55:48 +0200

Hi,

I just reviewed my issues list, and here's an editorial one remaining...:

05-E08, 4.6.2 rel attribute

<http://atompub.org/2005/01/27/draft-ietf-atompub-format-05.html#rfc.section.4.6.2>
06: 
<http://atompub.org/2005/03/12/draft-ietf-atompub-format-06.html#rfc.section.4.2.9.2>

"...same name registered within the IANA Registry of Link Relations 
Section 9, and..."

Put the section reference into brackets.

Also, I really think that we should do something about the 
link/rel=alternate issue. Requiring additional metadata that sometimes 
doesn't exist (such as if the feed is self-contained) IMHO leeds to 
implementors to ignore the requirement, or to just put in a placeholder 
link (which doesn't help either). See discussion starting here...: 
<http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg13880.html>.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:38:50 -0400

Julian Rescke wrote:
> I really think that we should do something about the 
> link/rel=alternate issue. Requiring additional metadata that 
> sometimes doesn't exist (such as if the feed is self-contained) IMHO
> leeds to implementors to ignore the requirement, or to just put in
> a placeholder link (which doesn't help either).
	Every PubSub Atom Feed Document contains a fake "placeholder" link
with rel="alternate". The same will probably be true for any system that
provides feed documents as the result of queries. Our fake alternate links
look like: 
<link rel='alternate' type='text/html' href='http://www.pubsub.com'/>

	All of our feeds contain style files that allow them to be rendered
in browsers; however, we don't produce HTML equivalents of our feeds. Thus,
we can't put in a "real" alternate link, especially not one with "text/html"
or the potentially better "application/html" since the type of the only
representation of our feeds is "application/xml" not HTML...
	I can't imagine any search or matching application doing this any
differently. Thus, Julian's suggestion that placeholder links *might* be
provided is actually simply inevitable.
	Every one of our feed documents starts like this:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<?xml-stylesheet href='http://atom.pubsub.com/xsl/atom-html.xsl'
type='text/xsl'?>
<feed version='0.3' xmlns='http://purl.org/atom/ns#'
xmlns:ps='http://pubsub.com/xmlns'>
   <link rel='alternate' type='text/html' href='http://www.pubsub.com'/>
   <modified>2005-04-25T02:20:56-04:00</modified>
   <author>
      <name>PubSub Feed Generator</name>
   </author>
   <ps:update-count>369</ps:update-count>
   <ps:subid>d9/e6/4eb045b8ddaf1923b44b049753</ps:subid>
<title><![CDATA[PubSub: Topix]]></title>

	bob wyman