Subject: IPTC News Metadata Framework Requirements specification issued for comment

From: "Laurent Le Meur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:25:32 +0200

Atomes,
 
One of the goal of the Atom initiative is to obtain a simple but powerful
way to handle metadata. The International Press Telecommunications Council
(IPTC) studies the same kind of problems in the domain of professional
news-worthy information, and we feel that the Atom WG could be interested in
commenting the work of IPTC members on this subject. 

The News Metadata Framework Working Group of the International Press 
Telecommunications Council (IPTC) has released the first public 
draft of its News Metadata Framework Requirements specification, for
review and discussion. This is the first step ("what do we need, really?")
in the development of a detailed XML Metadata Framework in the news domain.

The News Metadata Framework forms part of the IPTC News Architecture
initiative. This initiative will lead to a new generation of IPTC standards,
including NewsML2 (representation of general news) and EventsML
(representation of news events and coverage of these events). 

The document is available at:
www.iptc.org/download/public/DRAFT-NAR_1.0-spec-NMDF-BusinessRequ_26.pdf

We welcome your comments:
 
-  at the News Standards Summit, in Amsterdam, on 24 May 2005:
   http://www.newssummit.org
 
-  on the iptc-metadata mailing list:
   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iptc-metadata
 
Laurent Le Meur
Head of Medialab, AFP
Chair, News architecture WP, IPTC

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and  intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please  contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are  not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy  this email.

For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-