Subject: PaceOptionalFeedLink

From: Robert Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:03:50 -0400

== Abstract ==

Remove the requirement for a feed-level link element.

== Status ==

Open

== Rationale ==

The requirement makes people jump through hoops for little gain, since
there is a strong incentive to provide the link if you have something.
Unlike entries, feeds are almost always dereferenced from a URI.

== Proposal ==

In section 4.1.1, strike the line that reads

"atom:feed elements MUST contain at least one atom:link element with a
relation of "alternate"."

and replace it with

"atom:feed elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:link element
with a rel attribute value of "alternate" that has the same
combination of type and hreflang attribute values."

== Impacts ==

== Notes ==

----

CategoryProposals

---

From: Walter Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:51:18 -0700

> combination of type and hreflang attribute values."

That actually specifies something different, the duplication, without
saying whether atom:link is recommended. I recommend adding this text:

"An atom:feed element SHOULD/MAY contain one such atom:link element."

I'll let other people contribute on whether it is SHOULD or MAY.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Principal Architect, Verity